ISKY BIG CAM

73DATSON

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="banzai510(hainz)" data-cid="815145" data-time="1355842134"><p>

webcams has a 488 252 dur cam I would pick that one<br />

the 450 one you posted remeber you got to subtract the valve lash as that will be your real lift.<br />

L motors like lift.<br />

Remember they might have to grind the cam as the waiting period can take a month at least.<br />

The webcams are new cores if you want a outright one.<br />

<br />

There have been a few people said they got Isky cams before but never mentioned that they needed cores before.<br />

Nissanmotorsports might have new cams laying around.<br />

<br />

Schneider doesnt have new ones either but will do a core. if a regrind youll end up using close to 190 200 lash pads<br />

<br />

lash cap size depends on if head, valve seats and valves are machined as it all affects the wipe pattern.also it if the valve stems are event across the top. as soem people trim the tops also to make them even so one size pad is needed.<br />

I seen heads were every rocker needed a different size(bad news as you want close to 1 size. You can be off a little and not worry about it.<br />

Ill let Sealick take over as he knows the tricks to get by now on this</p></blockquote>

I know it takes a month that's y I got the 450, they had one left new.. I wanted the 488 but had to wait. The 450 ill get it by Friday got the tracking#.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="banzai510(hainz)" data-cid="815154" data-time="1355843597"><p>

to me a 450 isnt worth even buying. compared to the cam you intially wanted is a huge difference in size<br />

But sounds like your rich. and in a rush.<br />

<br />

<br />

<br />

I have a 460/270 in my 521 L16 w 32/36 and I think they sould have made that cam stock in all the L motors.</p></blockquote>

I'm not rich I'm my own boss. I have a wife with a great job too:-) she wants me to stop riding bikes so I pick up this hobby:-) ill try this cam if I don't like it ill be shopping for a bigger one..

No idea. Ask Sealick. Generally it's a test fit. I think he cut up shims and stacked them untill he got it right, added up the shims and bought pads to match.

Correct......I had some .150 lash pads supplied with a Shadbolt .491/260 cam.

They said the pads would work.............right..................wrong.... :huh:

So...I cut up small, somewhat round pieces from a .010 feeler gauge. Edges of rockers are covered with 'ink' from a black felt marker....as seen below. About a 1/4 " in from each edge, you don't have to slather the whole top because the cam removes most of it.

Placed 1 piece under the lash cap, set lash clearance and rotated cam for a wipe pattern.

Kept adding .010 shims until the pattern was centered on the rocker.....took 3 shims

Every valve/rocker has to be checked!

I Ordered .180 and .190 pads

P5220017.jpg

Bottom of .150 lash pad on right....stock on left.

It's easier to raise the flat bottomed 150 pad compared to the stock recessed one.

Can be done though....just a few calculations. Stock pad is approx .165 thick/recess is approx .069.

Another 'option' is to cut a .010 feller gauge down (length wise)....so that is narrower to fit on top of the pad.

lll.jpg

Bought some emery cloth to resurface rockers.

rc.jpg

Why its common practice man lol. I had to do it in July on my l28, Clive in the bx had to do it in oct for his l30. 

I use a cut up feeler gauge for clearance shims and a magnum sharpie to mark the rockers. Just takes a little time and patience.

Why its common practice man lol. I had to do it in July on my l28, Clive in the bx had to do it in oct for his l30. 

I use a cut up feeler gauge for clearance shims and a magnum sharpie to mark the rockers. Just takes a little time and patience.

hey do you want to hook up and help me install the cam? i can meet you or you can come to me what ever makes it easy?

putting the cam in the towers is EZ if straight. its the sizeing of the lash pads and ther retainers.

since you got the 440 you might be able to use the stock retainers and use about a 160 size lash pads. I would set the lash to like .006 and .008 to mak sure the lash pad dont flop out as alot of the pad will be taller than the retainer.

If your lucky like me I bought a set of 150 up to 200 back in the day so I got all the sizes covered.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="72240z" data-cid="815293" data-time="1355863644"><p>

I'm down to help, just take hainz advice and order a range of lash pads. Try your best have everything prior so you dont get stuck.</p></blockquote>

Kool THX. I will I'll head to the dealer 2mrow. I should have everything by the new year.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="banzai510(hainz)" data-cid="815244" data-time="1355858866"><p>

putting the cam in the towers is EZ if straight. its the sizeing of the lash pads and ther retainers.<br />

<br />

<br />

since you got the 440 you might be able to use the stock retainers and use about a 160 size lash pads. I would set the lash to like .006 and .008 to mak sure the lash pad dont flop out as alot of the pad will be taller than the retainer.<br />

<br />

If your lucky like me I bought a set of 150 up to 200 back in the day so I got all the sizes covered.</p></blockquote>

So the dealer sure have these in stock? For such an old motor?

So the dealer sure have these in stock? For such an old motor?

No...but they might be able to order them for you if you have a PN

Order from these guys......

http://www.nissanparts.cc/

There are other companies around....but most 'common sized' lash pads are now NLA or on back order.

I would wait and see what size of pads are needed....then try to locate/order

MSA has every size pad in stock but they are pricey and for L6 so you end up with a couple extras. I got a kit but if I was going to get just a cam I'd find someone using the same or sim specs to see what pads they ended up with. It sucks to install a cam and have to leave your car sitting a week+ while you wait for the right pads. 

What's the torx spec?

For what?

Also........some PNs

..................................................................................................

Comp Valve Springs 

M-99996-M1046 Coil bind at .970 280lbs/in OD 1.34" assem height 1.72" seat pressure 120lbs

Aluminum/Valve Spring Retainers 

M-99996-M1152     (.150-.180) 

M-99996-M1151     (.190-.240) 

M-99996-M1150     (.250-.340) 

Steel/Valve Spring Retainers 

M-99996-M1050    (.150-.180) 

M-99996-M1052    (.190-.240) 

M-99996-M1051    (.250-.340) 

Lashpads 

M-99996-M1155     .150 lash pad 

M-99996-M1160     .160 

M-99996-M1170     .170 

thru 

M-99996-M1340     .340

I just use my judgment. There is nothing too critical to be tq's. Idk its my trade so I have a feel for it. 

The adjusters are like 10lb then 24lb and the cam sprocket is like 40-45lb depending where you look. Valve cover is 7ish... Idk the mech fuel pump but w/e tight enough is how much lol

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="72240z" data-cid="815320" data-time="1355866924"><p>

I just use my judgment. There is nothing too critical to be tq's. Idk its my trade so I have a feel for it. <br />

<br />

The adjusters are like 10lb then 24lb and the cam sprocket is like 40-45lb depending where you look. Valve cover is 7ish... Idk the mech fuel pump but w/e tight enough is how much lol</p></blockquote>

Lol got u.