Fairlady 280z!!! but i have issues

slowmomiata

well i am back and with a fairlady this time, legitimately :)

its a 1979 Fiarlady 280z, its a rhd car i got here locally, its pretty clean overall, has hardly any rust, the passenger side fender is dented but thats all.

the problem is it wont start, i am getting great spark, but no fuel, i cant hear my fuel pump prime when the key is turned to the on position, i have no fuel pressure coming out of the filter, and i am a little lost, is there a fuse that powers the fuel pump along with the relay? oh and the gas tank is disgusting inside i am going to drop the tank and get some gas tank cleaner, and a new fuel pump, it seems like someone put sugar in it and sabotaged it :/

whats the cheapest fuel pumpi can get for a 280zx, that works well, anyone have any advice on cleaning a tank plus lines, and how can i get power back to the pump, what could be wrong???

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You have a main fuel relay under the dash against the kick panel and above the fusebox.

Just keep this in mind for now.

You ave 2 additional fuel pump relays in the engine compartment. on the drivers side in a black box. A regular 280zx diagram is very similar but the relays are metal cased on a fairlady 280z .

DO as follows ... minimum amount of times.

*Turn key to on position (fuel pump should be off)

*pull both fuel pump relays in engine compartment.

= this bypasses both a triggers the main fuel pump. You should hear the fuel pump running at this point ... It is ok to go ahead and start it as well. If you do not hear it ... Get underneath the car ... With key on ... And check the (+) connection at the pump while someone turns the key to "start" position (starter solenoid d sabled as well !!!) If o power is pr sent I would go ahead and test/check your main fue pump relay. Check to see if power is running to this FIRS

Check and clean/protect all connections along the way.

if you hear the fu

el pump but spark plugs are dry ... AND fuel pressure exists (which you just pull main line in compartment to see)... Clean/replace engine bay harness grounds to intake/ignition brackets. This is what allows them to open :)

Fuel Tank cleaning. Peel ip rear compartment carpet. Unscrew 2 large Phillips heads on access cover. Disconnect wire and hoses ... undo 6-7mm ? Bolt heads. Carefully break the seal. Carefully fish out sending unit. On the bottom is a fuel tank mesh type filter. I would recommend replacing this first ... Nissan has them for sale 4-5 months ago for $25. Pulls off and clips straight on. Done ! Try this first before trying a fuel tank cleaning. You have plastic baffling inside the tank before you use chemicals that may eat this. I also used a 10% solution of sulfuric acid to clean my mesh screen fuel filter then quickly neutralized it.

Fuel pumps ... I would say Carter is good. I have a spare good fairly new one that worked well. Also have a fairlady 280z spare fuel tank.

Reply back and post pics :)

You can perform a fuel pump volume test as well to give you an idea on restrictions/pump etc health. Sometimes the pressure relief valves in the actual pump go bad BUT the pump itself is fine. You should see NO air coming from the fuel supply. If so check for a ripped or blocked hose.

The relays in the domestic zx's and fairlady 280z (79') ... I think are slightly different.

I have some spare ones that worked in the relay box as well. You could retrofit new ones in if need be but no one wants that lol.

Go to xenon.com and download a factory service manual ( not maintenance ) it will tell and show you how to test everything you wanted to know on a zx ... a lot of the same pertains to yours in theory :)

ok i will try all that once i finish fixing the 510's rear coilovers, dumb ass me

decided to trust a how to and well, i am not impressed, my car is stupid super

slammed and rides like shit and is bouncy as hell and the struts are too short

to even lift the car back back up to not tuck stock tire, its retarded...

but the fairlady will get some love once i get the 510 back to daily driving status,

i shouldve just left the stock suspension on but i got greedy and wanted diy

coilovers, big mistake imo but oh well

so, with power going to the fuel pump, the black and green 2 plug harness connector

in the back under the carpet is the fuel pump power/harness right? thats what the usdm

book said so i was checking there for power, when the key is in the on position the

relay in the black box clicks instantly and doesnt unclick so to speak, is that normal?

i was figuring since the fuel tank and pick up is so so so nasty the fuel pump burnt up

from trying so hard to pump fuel its clicking the relay off, i couldnt even get the pump to

turn on hot wiring it....

i will try your methods after the 510 is done but for now here is some cell phone pics :)

IMG_20121206_151058.jpg

IMG_20121206_151033.jpg

IMG_20121206_151044.jpg

The jdm cluster :)

022.jpg

2 dash crack :/

024.jpg

techno racing 13"s ? are these rare?

031.jpg

sending unit all gunked up and its nasty and a little rusty in the tank, i may

do a fuel cell in the back hatch

028-1.jpg

and is this the fuel pump harness that gives it power? i have no power coming

to this guy at all....

030.jpg

and is this the fuel pump harness that gives it power? i have no power coming

to this guy at all....

030.jpg

Looks right . If not crawl under thcar and test there.

Was the key "on" and both or one engine bay fuel relays pulled before you did this^ ?

= if so you need to check your MAIN fuel pump relay (under dash drivers side) for power signal next and test the relay itself. if you have signal clean the connections and replace the relay.

= if not .. then go back and re-check.

A fuel cell will knock down the resale significantly.

I have no clue on the wheels ? I thought they were 14's.

Nice Fairlady 280z :cool:

You can also pull the pump off and jump it to the battery to start the car/perform volume tests from a clean gas can as well. Pressure test at the rail is best if you have the tools.

The pump has a little screen filter inside it also.

techno racing 13"s ? are these rare?

Pretty rare. Whats more rare is that I see center-caps. Do you have all 4?- those are the hard items to find if they are all Techno Racing center-caps. The only problem I see that the rims are 13s which means you have to have stock brakes for. Anything larger and you need bigger rims, but thats nothing a rebarrel cant fix (made hard by the fact that its a 1-piece rim so you cant remove a lip).

Ive never seen a set of those for sale. And to fill you in on the full name, they are called Hayashi Techno Racing TRVs. Are you interested in selling?

• 4 weeks later...