Differences between 73 and 78 620??

Project Bandwagon

I found what I think is a pretty good deal on a 78 620 in what looks to be good shape exterior wise.

I've done the IRS swap from a 240, and the motor swap from a 240 on mine, but the body is rusty and floors are gone (literally)

I'm just wondering if I bought the 78 and swapped bodies (or frames I guess lol) if I'd run into any issues. My plan would be to score the good body/bad motor truck, swap all the good panels onto my good motor/frame/rear end, and vice versa, then sell the 73 as parts or if i can get it running/driving as a driver.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The '78 620 has a larger L20B motor.

Front disc brakes

Internally regulated alternator

Ball joint steering

Electronic ignition (remote igniter type)

It will have a 71B type 4 or 5 speed. The '73 had a lighter duty F4W63 4 speed.

Larger rad and a different rad support shape.

Could have a King Cab or Long Bed option. '73s were all short wheelbase.

Different grill style.

Rims are slightly different to clear the disc brakes.

Headlight switch is illuminated.

• Like 2

My buddy did the smae thing you are talking about years ago.. He had a rust bucket but a good runner 78.. He found a clean straight no rust 73.. so he wanted to keep the disc brakes. So he swapped out the bodies.everything bolted up no issues. . Only thing that I remember that was different besides mechanical that Datsun Mike has stated. is the gas tank on the 73 is bolted to the bed and frame on a 78/79.. But that isnt a problem.. good luck..

dats2.jpg

Do you think I'd run into any issues swapping the 78 frame under the 73 body or vise versa?

i just don't want to chop up the frame rear end of the 78 since i've already got it swapped into the 73

The '78 truck has to be a short wheelbase to fit the '73 body. Otherwise the frame will need to be shortened 9.45" ahead of the axle and behind the torsion bar cross member.

dats2.jpg

the truck i'm looking at picking up.

Do you think I'd run into any issues swapping the 78 frame under the 73 body or vise versa?

i just don't want to chop up the frame rear end of the 78 since i've already got it swapped into the 73

Hurry up and buy this thing so I don't have to. It's only about 200 miles from me.

dats2.jpg

the truck i'm looking at picking up.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

What spec wheels / tires.

I have to use 185/80 R14C on my truck, for me that is stock. It's even printed on my damn registration certificat. Is it true you can use any size tyres you want in the US? And do you have to use C (cargo, heavy load) tyres?

• 2 weeks later...