59 willys cj5

I thought I'd put up a thread about my jeep. It is my actual project, even though I like to tinker on my truck from time to time. It was my grandfather's, who bought it in the early 60's. He passed away when I was 8, but we still had some fun times in it. Yeah that's me in the passengers seat, +5 For anyone who can identify what is on the towbar.

photo1-5.jpg

He was t-boned by a truck in the early 70's, which left the outside in pretty poor shape. A frame shop straightened everything out and he pretty much beat the tub and fenders out with a bfh.

photo3-2.jpg

photo2-4.jpg

photo1-4.jpg

My uncle and I actually got it up and running, after it sitting for about 10 years, when I was about 14, and I learned to drive on it. When I turned 16 my grandma gifted it to me and I was going to make it my high-school dd. Unfortunately, it required too much work and it sat for a few more years. 4 years later I decided on taking it to my new place and making it a project.

Remnants of the old damage...

photo2-5.jpg

photo3-3-1.jpg

photo1-6.jpg

Thumbs up for the girlie creeper on the wall!

So after the paint was done, time for the motor. I had a 302 chevy motor built for it. Followed by a 3 spd ford, and the original t-case with overdrive. I updated all the brakes, and threw on some vintage off road tires to complete the look. I know the Green and yellow is obnoxious, but that's how my grandpa had it, and I see it as kind of a tribute to him.

photo2-6.jpg

It was too dark to show the inside, but I have had the original seats recovered and turned the entire back to a toolbox with my stereo and offroad equipment in it. I'll take pics another time to show that.

I know it's definitely not a datto, but it's my pride and joy. And my datto lets me play project with this, not to mention gets twice the gas mileage, and I do appreciate that!

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

The item on the draw bar looks like a metal cooler water like the big orange ones you see on the back of utility trucks.

I used to have a couple of cj5. One '57 and the other a '64. Both had the f134 engines. Great when the snow got deep and for old wagon trails in the rockies.

• 2 weeks later...
The item on the draw bar looks like a metal cooler water like the big orange ones you see on the back of utility trucks.

I used to have a couple of cj5. One '57 and the other a '64. Both had the f134 engines. Great when the snow got deep and for old wagon trails in the rockies.

Nope, nice guess though.  I'm sure an old Navy boy would know (hint).

• 1 month later...