KA24 Turbo Or LS1 ?

IRISH DIME

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

(Reserving judgement until I hear what rear setup you plan on ... And other details being held back as well eh ? Haha ;))

I think the original thread poster has moved on? Are you asking me about my details and rearend set up?

Well... I was hoping the org poster would include more details/setup/pictures/plan. :D ( I have a 354sbc + 4spd + Ford 8.8 31-spline as drivetrain for my project 71 240z. )

So... I'm an LS1 fan haha.

But.. if you wish to answer the question 62bugzilla I will be all ears :) or your setup :devil:

So... I'm an LS1 fan haha.

Yeah,, blowing hot air around all day ..

:rofl:

i should have Pm-ed you that

My position is as stated: I would rather stick my dick in a light socket than drive a chevy powered vehicle

Overveiw of my project is as stated.

My engine will Start off as all iron 327 300hp motor with goodies added should be in the 360 hp range with a world class t5 5 speed and the r190 with 5.13 locker in it.( too short of gears I know but have to get it on road first unless r200 long 260z rearend comes along) . Then add alum heads to take off 60 plus pounds and it will already have alum. intake. In the meantime look for aluminum block to swap over to with upgraded short block parts. As far as the rearend goes I want to build some custom lower control arms so I can mini tub the car to fit around a 285 tire and put in 930 cv stub axles with cvs and axles but as far as the rearend goes I'm not sure which center section I'm going with in the end but along the lines of a dana 44 corvette or currie 9"( awsome fabricated sheet metal center section but alot more money) both should handle the power and some.I'm trying to do my project with those things in mind so I don't mount something in the way now that will cause problems later. I like the yellow fever jag rearend set up but I'm not going that far with it. I like the single trailing arm set up since all the offroad cars I built had the same thing just much bigger. It will all take time but I have that or so I hope. B)

Light socket or small block chevy? SBC wins everytime!!!! :thumbup:

I dont understand why it would be a r190 unless a r200 from a 2+2 come along? One is a solid and one is an independent, isnt there an independent in the the 510 stock? Also why does it have to be a 2+2 260 r200 and not one of the many others regulatory avail? They give them away on hbz lol. Then a list of domestic solid rears too? Sounds like a confusing overview to me.

I dont understand why it would be a r190 unless a r200 from a 2+2 come along? One is a solid and one is an independent, isnt there an independent in the the 510 stock? Also why does it have to be a 2+2 260 r200 and not one of the many others regulatory avail? They give them away on hbz lol. Then a list of domestic solid rears too? Sounds like a confusing overview to me.

R190 is a irs center section that are pretty rare and almost as strong as a r200 but parts are hard to come by, the r200 mentioned is from a 260z since they came with u joint style half shafts instead of cv's since thats another conversion all together and I want to use 930 cv's since I have a long history with them and they are pretty cheap to come by. The list of domestic rearends are the ones I will fab mounts for and those are either the corvette dana 44 or the curie 9" both tougher than the r200 in my opinion but who know's maybe the r200 will surprise me.. The currie is a work of art and runs 934 cv's unbreakable stuff and the street. With the dana 44 I would convert to 930 cv's and by the way the dana is in older vettes and is the jag rearend aswell.

ce-4305b.jpg

Ah you know I read it as H190, my mistake. I believe the 280z were U joint style half shafts as well. CV's didnt come until the 280zx. Idk which is stronger but the r200 is strong enough for your power goals.

motivator1789543.jpg

• Like 2

Overveiw of my project is as stated.

My engine will Start off as all iron 327 300hp motor with goodies added should be in the 360 hp range with a world class t5 5 speed and the r190 with 5.13 locker in it.( too short of gears I know but have to get it on road first unless r200 long 260z rearend comes along) . Then add alum heads to take off 60 plus pounds and it will already have alum. intake. In the meantime look for aluminum block to swap over to with upgraded short block parts. As far as the rearend goes I want to build some custom lower control arms so I can mini tub the car to fit around a 285 tire and put in 930 cv stub axles with cvs and axles but as far as the rearend goes I'm not sure which center section I'm going with in the end but along the lines of a dana 44 corvette or currie 9"( awsome fabricated sheet metal center section but alot more money) both should handle the power and some.I'm trying to do my project with those things in mind so I don't mount something in the way now that will cause problems later. I like the yellow fever jag rearend set up but I'm not going that far with it. I like the single trailing arm set up since all the offroad cars I built had the same thing just much bigger. It will all take time but I have that or so I hope. B)

Light socket or small block chevy? SBC wins everytime!!!! :thumbup:

By the time I got done reading this ^ I was grinning ear to ear :D

Wow... Drooling.

Sounds like you know a few tricks.

5.13 wow ... I thought 4.11 was low haha

Currie 9" diffs are pretty cool... Spendy though.

I came across one JAG setup in last 2 years that was available for $200-300.

I know all about the money. I spent 18,000 on a albins transaxle for my offroad baja bug I had in california and 1300 for 1 shock. Rc cars can be alot more than you think. I have around 10000 in those but that's over 15 years of adding to collection. This car is being done on a budget considering I have other things like a boat taking a peice of the pie.

By the time I got done reading this ^ I was grinning ear to ear :D

Wow... Drooling.

Sounds like you know a few tricks.

5.13 wow ... I thought 4.11 was low haha

Currie 9" diffs are pretty cool... Spendy though.

I came across one JAG setup in last 2 years that was available for $200-300.

I will be going to shop tommarrow to work on car and will take pics. I have started a thread on the 510 realm but might start a mirror image thread here aswell. I didn't choose the 5.13 gears but it came down the pike that way and I threw it in there when I had a high rpm 1800sss in the car. It made that motor fun to drive but is way to short for the v8 since it will have some torque to use along with hp. The 1800 had a huge cam and no bottom end torque so it helped there. I have my eye out for a r200 now and will make some adapters to go to 930cv's from there. Had a buddy with a 1600 class baja race car that uses 930's send me some used one's the other day. (one race old) By the way dtp cool thread on your Z I like it. Looks like your making it happen one way or another.
  • Like 1

I will be going to shop tommarrow to work on car and will take pics. I have started a thread on the 510 realm but might start a mirror image thread here aswell. I didn't choose the 5.13 gears but it came down the pike that way and I threw it in there when I had a high rpm 1800sss in the car. It made that motor fun to drive but is way to short for the v8 since it will have some torque to use along with hp. The 1800 had a huge cam and no bottom end torque so it helped there. I have my eye out for a r200 now and will make some adapters to go to 930cv's from there. Had a buddy with a 1600 class baja race car that uses 930's send me some used one's the other day. (one race old) By the way dtp cool thread on your Z I like it. Looks like your making it happen one way or another.

Makes perfect sense bugzilla :cool:

Thanks for sharing !

YES !!!! :hyper: . I would read your thread all the time if you made one here. Of course now I have a reason to consistently go to the 510realm forum if you choose not to lol :cool:

The R200 is a good choice. 75-78 280z's and 78-83 280zx's. Beware of different flange cup sizes for some years ( I bet your on top of it though ! ) . Pinion bearings and side seals are typical :) .

I don't know anything of 930 cv's other than what other people report .. such as yourself ;)

Thanks for the compliment man ! I'm trying to make it happen one way it another ... I hope lol.

Going 3-link instead here soon if I can find a definte answer on welding the 3rd link bracket to the top of the cast steel Ford 8.8 pumpkin or not + correct nickel rod. I'll keep the 4-link if I cannot.

looking FORWARD to seeing your project , phases , and pictures whether it be here or therealm !

:cool: ... It just sounds to cool !!!! Thankyou for saying world class T5 by the way lol. Manual trans just rule....

you should definately start a thread here, would like to see progress on that one..

YES ^ !!!

Although you'll have a healthy split of pro v8 510 and not so pro lol.

I wouldnt even put v8 in the title lol you'll just get an argument

Definitely do a build thread though.

I will start one and maybe I'll take your suggetion and leave out v8. I can take the trash talk though because in the end I'll be the one sideways coming off the on ramp onto the highway with a grin ear to ear. B)

I started one and decieded to call it like it is and take the heat if any comes with it. LOL

1971 4 door v8 conversion project http://community.rat...ersion-project/

It is what it is. B)

This isn't my first rodeo with swimming up stream since I built a V8 ls1 offroad baja bug with gullwing doors and was told by many how hard it was going to be and so on but it worked out and was a blast when it was done.

BugLucern2.jpg

Bug4.jpg