firing order

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

L20B rotors point in different directions than other L series and dizzys could have been swapped. The oil pump spindle could have been moved to another position so the rotor could be pointing anywhere.

Set at TDC compression on #1 cylinder.

Now take the distributor cap off and see where the rotor is pointing... THIS now becomes #1 plug . Go counter clockwise 3 4 2. Done.

I wonder if I've been driving around with wrong plug order this whole time...

The most common is 2 and 3 swapped.

Guest 510kamikazifreak

L20B rotors point in different directions than other L series and dizzys could have been swapped. The oil pump spindle could have been moved to another position so the rotor could be pointing anywhere.

Set at TDC compression on #1 cylinder.

Now take the distributor cap off and see where the rotor is pointing... THIS now becomes #1 plug . Go counter clockwise 3 4 2. Done.

The most common is 2 and 3 swapped.

The one "good" thing about a L-dizzy/pump is one can put the rotor where one wants :rofl:

Set at TDC compression on #1 cylinder

Note that when you set the engine to the TDC (0) mark, it could be #1 or #4. The timing mark will not tell you.

And btw, all inline 4 cylinder engines are 1-3-4-2, american, japanese or european. At least I've yet to come across an L4 that wasn't 1-3-4-2.

Note that when you set the engine to the TDC (0) mark, it could be #1 or #4. The timing mark will not tell you.

This is why I said compression. Just stick your finger in the #1 plug hole and bump the starter until it pops out. Find the pulley mark and turn up to the timing pointer.

• 3 weeks later...

Mine goes like dis

From front of truck.

3 2

4 1

makes your firing order 1432 (or 4321, 3214 or 2143, but lets start with 1)

the firing order for all L4's as stated is 1342. based off your firing order I'd say you're runnin on 2 cylinders. pull 3 and 4 plug wires off. see if there's any change. if no change in how it runs swap them to 1342 and I bet you'll have a lot more power

True, coil order vs. firing order. For figuring out the arrangement though, 1342 will not work for the coil packs. Not that you'd confuse those with a distributor, but I could see some not familiar with coil pack ignition doing just that. And then there are the people who put WD40 on belts to stop squeaking. :D

• Like 1