one off flared 510...wheel fitment question

.. Still can't figure out what offset and size to get for my "1 off" flared 510 sedan. Been reading and reading and searching for a month now and still unsure what offset and wheel width I should be looking for.

One of the previous owners had the fenders rolled/stretched to look like little flares(not the usual bolt on flares) they did a real nice job but now I need to figure out whats the maximum tire size that'll fit along with what wheel width. I was thinking 15x8/9 staggered but I don't have a slotted/adjustable rear crossmember to get the 9" to fit.(unless you know something that works?) so thinking 15x8's all around... Not sure offset...

I would like the rear tire to be tucked and the front to be on the verge of tucked if that makes any sense.

I'm running 280zx struts, camber plates with ground control coilovers in the front and ground control coilovers in the rear ..

Here's what I'm thinking...225/45 in the rear on an 8" wide wheel. And I'm thinking 195/50 up front on an 8" wide wheel...any thoughts or insight on offset and wheel width would be great.

Thanks... here's a pic of the rolled fender/flares.

DSCN1284_zpscc7d5d75.jpg

DSCN1288_zps40909a7e.jpg

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

no mini tub, just those "1 off " flares.(which is throwing me off) I measured the rear from the inside coilover to the edge of the fender and thats 11". and To the inner fender that is about 3' higher it's 91/4"'s

I haven't seen a "stock" inner fender to tell if mine was tweak or moved up/out in anyway so just going by the usually might not be an option. I actually order a wheel fitment tool to figure out width and offset, but was looking to get a good starting point of what the usual is since i might be able to go a bit wider or more aggressive wheel in the rear. I just got a tip to put washers as spacers to pop my current wheels out to be almost flush with my flare and than figure out the offset I would need. just hope I do the math right.

thanks for the link!

Since you keep saying "one off," no starting point we have is going to work for you. They only way to get the right fitment is by measuring... Stop being a tool when people are telling you to measure your fenders. You could have saved all this trouble by measuring in the first place. Youre a special care with "one off" ( :rolleyes: ) fender flairs... no one can tell you what will fit.

Positive offset is if the hub face is between the center of the rim and the lip. Negative offset is when the hub face is between the center of the rim and the strut.

Thank for the info TristinGrind, all I was just looking for was some guidance and insight since I'm pretty much out in guam as far as the 510 world is concerned, I might be one of maybe 3 510ers out here on long island since I never even seen one in my neck of the woods. I really didn't think I had a bad question, I really don't want to waste money on a set of wheels that would become paper weights. I'll measueing today if the rain holds out :)

Key is making this look right.

find the correct wheels in the front then start with the back.

You dont want a deeper dish wheel in front than the back.

I wouldnt say you have a true flare but just a lip massage. as I would assume your going to lower the car more and key is where the tire set up is going to be and rubber size

I assume you could just up size the tire abit to fillit in than changing a whole rim offset

say like go from a 195 to a 205 or a 205 to a 225 but alwasy ck the tire brands as they get different once over a 205 .

I seen soem 205s /50 look like BALLONS.

Just by eyeballing this I think You could do a -10mm more offset outward.

You see the wheels you got I think they 6in/6.5 . If a 7 in it might be perfect.

y not see what everyone else runs the get a 1/2" to a 1" more offset since your fenders are flared out about a inch or so

Thanks Hainz/71kay510....

That was one reason I made this thread.... Hopefully get a good "starting" point and tweak it from there... And of course take some measurements to double check, but at least I'll be in the ballpark. Like.....should the rear tire be maybe a 205 or 225 and a195 up front... That's what input I was looking for.

A 195 tire really should not be mounted to a rim that is wider then 6.5". It can be done but it really looks too stretched out.

I would think if you get the offset right, you could go 205 up front and 225 in the rear. Possibly up to 245 in the rear depending on how low you go.

I dont personally call your car flared.

I think it just has the lips exdended out and would still consider this a stock fendered car. More or less its a optical illussion. Tire size wise it could still hit inside the main area of inside the fender. Why I say that is the wheel might fit to a certain point if the car suspension dont move. Like you lip area. If car sink a 1/2 inch where will the tire go inside the fender.?

I have 195/45/15 Nexens on my front but at +25 mm.

I would for sure go 205s in back. Key is also the Brand of tires. Not all the same when it come to 205s.

What struts you have up front?

what I do is look at others people cars and experience before I really get the wheels. Im going to buy.

I dont personally call your car flared.

I think it just has the lips exdended out and would still consider this a stock fendered car. More or less its a optical illussion. Tire size wise it could still hit inside the main area of inside the fender. Why I say that is the wheel might fit to a certain point if the car suspension dont move. Like you lip area. If car sink a 1/2 inch where will the tire go inside the fender.?

I have 195/45/15 Nexens on my front but at +25 mm.

I would for sure go 205s in back. Key is also the Brand of tires. Not all the same when it come to 205s.

What struts you have up front?

what I do is look at others people cars and experience before I really get the wheels. Im going to buy.

280zx w/ coil overs up front with camber plates and ground control coilovers in rear.

That's just it, there is no other cars to look or swap wheels to check fitment out in my neck of the woods. all on line research and pm'ing some people. sometimes they respond and sometime not. I've had both great experiences but more not so great for what ever reason.. :/

and yes the 195 that is on in the rear will tuck under with out any rubbing issues. I have 3"'s of clearance before it'll hit the inner fender, but if and when I do lower the rear, the natural neg. camber should be able to make them clear the inner fender for even more clearance.....unless I go to a 225

So after all this and all my measuring, I think 15x8 (0) offset with 205 up front and 225 in rear. just going to re check the offset number to make sure,

I wish someone with coilovers front and rear running 280zx struts could just post what size/offset tire size their running w/o rubbing issues or what ever....and a pic would be nice to see the stance. searching and searching for weeks now and I have and idea of what Might fit. now that you guys are saying my flares are not really flares but just a little bit more of a roll.

Thanks for you info. qwik510 and Hainz