Shift boot help

Bklyn720

Hi

Wanted to say how much I enjoy reading this forum .

I have really learned a lot from the question and answers people give.

I am in need for a shift boot for my 1984 720 2wd reg cab 2.4 z engine. I currently have the rectangle one

that came with the truck but its badly cracked and abused. I see the only one available on Nissan Parts zone are the round ones which I really like rather than the one that came on the 1984 models.

I see that I might have to change the Transmission hole cover to an older style one to accept the round shift boot. If so does anyone have one for sale and will it line up correctly? I would buy the round boot as well . I thought I saw someone had changed theirs a while back but couldn't find the old topic on the site .Also I would love to change the shifter to an older style chrome one. Will a 280z shifter fit my truck or any older shifters ? Or maybe someone can recommend a mod that would look cooler than that black dogleg I have now.

Thanks Pete

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Assuming you have a long tail trannie in your 720....

If it was a short tail.....a shortened shifter would be a bit inconvenient to reach.

Here's a long tail trannie in a 510 with a shortened shifter....720 tunnel cover and part of a console

wiringdone.jpg

What I did was use a Nissan hardbody shifter boot but I had to cut some of the bottom off

24d0t5l.jpg

Hmm, that's kinda what I'm looking for.. You just reminded me, I gotta hit a couple junkyards today too.. Hopefully I come up on a black one

• Like 1

IMG_1442.jpg

CIMG1318.jpg

CIMG1319.jpg

KGrHqNnsFIcwwiwzBQV8RLwJg60_57.jpg

Hi

Thanks for all the responses

I have posted some photo's . sorry it took so long . I'm still having some issues after the storm.

The truck is a real basic model .Radio delete no A/C no power steering and a bench seat and a brown vinyl floor. I took the vinyl floor out to clean the truck.

This is the square boot that came with my truck, its has a crack down along the front and some of the top has been cut off .

I would love to install that chrome shifter Sealik posted. The one on the left with a nice simple round boot with no console.What model year is that from and would it work? The last photo is of a 280zx shifter I saw on ebay..It sold

I did buy a brown console to install and was planing to use a leatherette shift boot but I think I want to go for a simpler look .

Thanks Pete