Blowing the common fuse

Hey, I have a 72 510 wagon that i'm attempting to try and start. I connected everything. Got the fuel and coolant. Put in the battery and the common fuse blew. I didn't notice it blew till I took it out and put another one of the same in and it saw it blow right before my eyes. I'm not familiar with electrical stuff much but what does this usually mean?

I turn the switch trying to turn on the car and nothing happens. No noise... doesn't even try and turn over.

Hopefully some one can give me an idea of what might be wrong so I can get this thing started.

Thanks.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hm... I haven't done too much to the electricals since I started working on it. It had some termincals in poor condition so those got replaced with new ones.. the negative is connected to the top bolt of the starter that mounts it to the bellhousing and that is on the same bolt as a ground wire that attaches to the body of the car (similar to what is done on my silver 510)

Other thing i've done is put a diffrent alternator in from another 510.. I wonder if it would blow if the connections on the alternator were switched? I could have put them on wrong?

The other thing I did was the spade connector on the solenoid had some diffrent color wire attached to it and it appeared to be cut... I believe I found the other half of the wire attached to a positive battery terminal... instead of reattaching to that battery terminal I reattached the wire to the normal place it would attach to on the stock wiring... maybe the reason it was attached directly to the terminal was because of something in the harness?

Thats all I've done electrically to the car. I'm not sure where the fusible link is located on a 510 but all the wiring around the starter / alt looks alright.. a little bit of replacement work looks to have been done but everything appears to connect correctly..

Is this a fuse that blows when the ignition is turned on?

Or does it blow when you connect the battery?

Which fuse is it left or right side, to the front or back of the box, and what amp. size?

The fuse blows as soon as the battery is connected. The fuse is located in the bottom right corner of a stock 510 fuse box and uses a 20a fuse.

http://datsun510.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=124&size=big&papass=&sort=1

I would have the volt reg and the alternator disconnected and hook it up again and see if it blows.

maybe a diode is shorted in the alternator????????

Im only guessing here.

the fuseable link is usually the wire the hook up to the starter lugw/the positive cable. make sure not shorted out to other wires(ck maybe under tape)

cig lighter wire grounded to the frame of the car somewhere?

I would have the volt reg and the alternator disconnected and hook it up again and see if it blows.

maybe a diode is shorted in the alternator????????

Im guess here.

the fuseable link is usually the wire the hook up to the starter lugw/the positive cable. make sure not shorted out to other wires(ck maybe under tape)

cig lighter wire grounded to the frame of the car somewhere?

I'll take a closer look at the electricals today see if I can't find a wire or something that would cause this...

The fusible link should be good as it provides power to the blowing fuse. It also powers the headlights and I bet they work. The problem has to be on the other side of the blown fuse, possibly a wire touching ground. This would draw power through the link and blow the fuse.

The fuse you describe has the following things connected to it:

engine room lamp

interior light

cigar lighter

4 way emergency flasher

All these have power at all times, without the key. Unplug them all and check if that fixes the fuse. If not then there is a bad wire touching ground. I would start with the cigar lighter.

The fusible link should be good as it provides power to the blowing fuse. It also powers the headlights and I bet they work. The problem has to be on the other side of the blown fuse, possibly a wire touching ground. This would draw power through the link and blow the fuse.

The fuse you describe has the following things connected to it:

engine room lamp

interior light

cigar lighter

4 way emergency flasher

All these have power at all times, without the key. Unplug them all and check if that fixes the fuse. If not then there is a bad wire touching ground. I would start with the cigar lighter.

I pulled the light switch and the tail lights and marker lights turned on.. it has no headlights so I can't say if they went on but I assume they would.

I'll check the cig lighter first. Hopefully the problem is as simple as that.

I pulled the light switch and the tail lights and marker lights turned on.. it has no headlights so I can't say if they went on but I assume they would.

I'll check the cig lighter first. Hopefully the problem is as simple as that.

We removed the entire engine compartment harness for clean up and put it back together. Put back everything and kept blowing fuse as soon as it's replaced. It was the relay on the shock tower, plugged in incorrectly. Only 4 prongs was plug and missed the other 2 on the connector. Reseated and made sure all 6 wires on the connector was connected. Blew a case of fuses doing trial and error.

It may not be the issue on your wagon but thought you might wanna check on that. A quick 10 second or less glance at it. Not an electrical expert.

But I know how to replace the fuse and bulbs. :D

well it stopped blowing the common. I'm pretty sure it was something related to the cig lighter.

I came across some other electrical issues but the motor wouldn't start. So its going to return to sitting.

Atleast I learned some things about electrical.. picked up a few new tools.

Thanks for all your help.

trace the cig wire circut?????

Car no start? like whatt no spark or no turn over

ck for voltages

maybe motor timming done wrong

ck this also. timming marks

Well the fact that I had to use a remote starter to turn it over because it was an automatic and likely had some failed relay connected to something (love how automatics have about 10x as many relays as a 4speed car) should tell you that the motor not starting wasn't the only issue it had.

It was likely not getting any spark. I'm sure the plugs were bad or something now that I think about it. Timing could have been off..dunno. Getting the wagon running wasn't really too much of a priority.. i've had it for about a year with no title. Maybe in a couple months I'll get motivated agian to get the wagon running. I was mostly trying to see if I could get it started with a little effort, if not, then oh well.

I'll likely go back to working on my 521. Which has turned out to be a bit of a wiring mess and over all more of a hassle than it should have been. :(