1980 510 struts

LenRobertson

This one is bothering me, cause I want to know myself. IneedHelp has asked twice now about replacing his 1980 510 (NOT, NOT earlier 510) front struts with 280ZX struts, and hasn't gotten an answer. I tried searching the first time he asked and everything I found was on earlier 510s. Lots of info on 1st gen 510 strut hacks. So does anyone know anything about 2nd gen 510 struts? I have a vague memory of reading the spindle angle may be different from some other Datsuns, but very well could be a false memory, or my normal confusion. I don't want to have to buy a newer 510 to figure this out for myself. Has anyone ever messed with struts on one of these critters?

Len

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i'll take the hubs off a of 78 strut and a 71 510 strut,,and a 280Z strut (( some dickhead sold my brother claiming it was 510 strut,,YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE FUCKER)),, and take a few pictures for you in the next couple days...I was going to do this exact measuring when we lowered my sons car then completely forgot....

,,,unless someone chimes in with knowlege,, which with this website is totally possible

sorry for the mini rant.. <_<

So does anyone know anything about 2nd gen 510 struts?

Yes. They are just like most later Datsun struts and almost exactly like B310 struts but with slightly different brakes. They have the good angle (less positive camber than early 510). You can swap the 280ZX struts directly over. No problem. You have a question about it?

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for all the info. I can sleep peacefully now! I hope IneedHelp sees this topic and it helps him.

bananahamuck - If you have a chance, it would be useful to see what spindle angles you come up with on the struts you have. And I enjoyed reading your rant.

datzenmike gave 10 degree angle for HL510, S10,S110, 300zx and 280ZX. Since I'm always dreaming of getting a 710 goon, it would be nice to know if 610, 710, 240Z, 260Z, and 280Z use this same angle.

I saw somewhere on the datsun1200 site that nearly all '70s Datsuns have the same bolt spacing on the bottom of the strut. Anyone know if there are any exceptions to this?

Len

The bottom bolt spacings are the same but the steering knuckles have a ball joint where they connect to the lower control arm. These come in two? different sizes. Hard to explain. They will still bolt up but the bottoms don't exactly match against the knuckle.

I have Maxima struts on my 710. I had Moog camber plates on it already because the 710s were a bitch to get proper camber from the factory so many alignment shops put them on. Any time a car with struts is lowered the toe and the camber are changed.

• 10 months later...

So never did take pictures but while my son was grinding perches to install ZX struts on his 1979 wagon i put a incline-o-meter on both the A10 510 struts and like said before in here ,, they looked to be the exact same angle.. Son seems to think it made steering effort easier, but i don`t know i could have been us cleaning up and greasing bearing surfaces. IDK . It is the only car he drives since about April 2012.

• 1 month later...