wtb l series tranny for my 510

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you mean fit without modifications? That would be an FS5W63A dogleg... it's the same length so your drive shaft will fit, it's from a later L series motor so will bolt to the 510's L16, the 510 speedometer cable will fit it and it's on the same side. You will have to modify the rear mount slightly so it will bolt down.

With a bit more work/expense you can fit a later 280z, 280zx, 810/Maxima or 620 FS5W71B 5 speed. They are all the same transmission just different gear ratios inside. You still have to mod the rear mount but in addition thew driveshaft needs to be shortened and balanced and the shifter hold enlarged to the rear. By re-routing the speedometer down over the top of the transmission the stock speedo cable can be used but if not a a 620 5 speed cable will work. You may have to find a new 17 tooth speedo pinion to match what was in your 510 to keep the speedo accurate. This is a far stronger transmission, much more common to find and has 3 choices of ratios and several overdrives to choose from.

• Like 1

Do you mean fit without modifications? That would be an FS5W63A dogleg... it's the same length so your drive shaft will fit, it's from a later L series motor so will bolt to the 510's L16, the 510 speedometer cable will fit it and it's on the same side. You will have to modify the rear mount slightly so it will bolt down.

With a bit more work/expense you can fit a later 280z, 280zx, 810/Maxima or 620 FS5W71B 5 speed. They are all the same transmission just different gear ratios inside. You still have to mod the rear mount but in addition thew driveshaft needs to be shortened and balanced and the shifter hold enlarged to the rear. By re-routing the speedometer down over the top of the transmission the stock speedo cable can be used but if not a a 620 5 speed cable will work. You may have to find a new 17 tooth speedo pinion to match what was in your 510 to keep the speedo accurate. This is a far stronger transmission, much more common to find and has 3 choices of ratios and several overdrives to choose from.

what years 280zx fit because there is one at the junkyard by my house but its newer fuel injected z and i wasnt sure if it would still fit in my 510.

what years 280zx fit because there is one at the junkyard by my house but its newer fuel injected z and i wasnt sure if it would still fit in my 510.

all the way to 83 but not 84 and you dont want the turbo one

Well it only fits if you do the following....

With a bit more work/expense you can fit a later 280z, 280zx, 810/Maxima or 620 FS5W71B 5 speed. They are all the same transmission just different gear ratios inside. You still have to mod the rear mount but in addition the driveshaft needs to be shortened and balanced and the shifter hold enlarged to the rear. By re-routing the speedometer down over the top of the transmission the stock speedo cable can be used but if not a a 620 5 speed cable will work. You may have to find a new 17 tooth speedo pinion to match what was in your 510 to keep the speedo accurate. This is a far stronger transmission, much more common to find and has 3 choices of ratios and several overdrives to choose from.

All years of 280zx ('79-'83) NON TURBO will 'fit'. The first year ('79) has the same transmission gear ratios as the previous 280z '77-'78. The '80-'83 have a 'close ratio' gear set compared to the earlier years and have huge 5th overdrive gears.

Well it only fits if you do the following....

All years of 280zx ('79-'83) NON TURBO will 'fit'. The first year ('79) has the same transmission gear ratios as the previous 280z '77-'78. The '80-'83 have a 'close ratio' gear set compared to the earlier years and have huge 5th overdrive gears.

Thanks alot for the info!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.