L16 crank pulley, L20B front cover (timing Q)

e_racer1999

Sooooo..... We swapped the L20B into the 510 and got it running and everything. Thing is that the L20B wasn't complete, so the timing mark that we have on the motor doesn't match the pulley, see the attached illustrations:

Pulley like this:

724.JPG

Timing indicator like this:

730.JPG

Anyway, the car runs like crap over 3K (if it even gets that far), so I know the timing is effed. How can I set a good baseline for my timing?

• Like 1
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

turn the dizzy till it runs the best.

Now if you dont go over 3 K something else is the proplem

since now you dont have a real timming mark You have to find the L20 pointer(or sawtooth timming indicator) or L16 pointer to match the pulley.

Or now find close to TDC as you can by looking in #1 piston hole and see where the piston is up on top and then mark the front cover with a ink pen mark and mark the pulley. Once you have that make sure your oilpump dizzy drive is installed correctly so you get that 11.28 position. then install the dizzy and make sure the rotor lines up with in the adjustmant range of the timming slot.

http://www.guba.com/general/search?query=datsun&set=5

If that is all good then you have carb or eleltrical coil issues(if was running OK before w/same set up then NOT

Not sure if you have the dial type of timing light or the digital ones where you can dial in the timing cuz these help out a lot when you are not sure. When you use a typical timing light, it's hard to know your timing, specially if you don't have a marker or pointer.

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?MfrCode=EQU&MfrPartNumber=3555&CategoryCode=3390

like Hainz was saying, the L20b pully will have a timing plate that matches its marks.

The L16 pull is different and the plate that goes with it that bolts onto the front cover is in a slightly different position. Swap either of them until you have a set. Hopefully you didnt' just throw everything away from the old engine.

Also, when setting up a new timing chain kit, I've found that if everything was installed correctly, I centered my distributor and it was spot on! :D Only had to adjust if I wanted to advance it more than stock.

if you threw away the old stuff, then try setting it at TDC by turning your crank bolt, take off your spark plugs - to make it easier, to TDC by either having someone putting thei finger on number #1 cyl or plac a piece of toilet paper inside number one , where spark plug should be, and when you come close to TDC or 0 then the person will feel air coming up or the toilet paper will come up..then see where the rotor is at, if it lines up where it should be, the metal aprt of rotor lines up with number one spark plug wire then more than likely you are at TDC, be careful since you can also be 180 degrees off that's why it's good to have a timing light handy that's the dial type or digital read out...

Good luck..and tell us how it went...

yes find the TDC or zero and that's why it's good to have a dial type of timing light or a one that reads the timing digitally. Once you find zero or TDC mark it with white out or chalk, from here you can fine tune the timing, by setting your timing light to let's say 10 degrees and you can see how far is 0 from 10.

Believe me he dont have a digital timming light

Most Datsun owners dont have a timming light untill very later on .

If only the pully was changed, Not anything else all that is needed is to turn the dizzy untill it runs OK ,drive it hard and see if it pings.

Not if this is a assembled motor then watch the intake lobe thru the oil filler holeYes that is the intake LOBE). As it nears the 9.o clock position remove the spark plug (if already removed) then look thru the hole with a light and see where TDC is(go back and forth) then hopefully that close enough then mark the pulley and timming cover. then ck the oil/dizzy drive and should be 11.28 position

What!! no timing light...that's a tool that should be in one's possession. This is as important as a screw driver, sockets, plyers and so on....while in the subject of timing lights, a dwell meter (for those who have points) and a vacuum/pressure gauge is equally important. I've seen the cheapy kits for like $49.00. A dwell meter, I find them all the time at Craigslist or at my local flea market.

Thanks for all of the replies. Yes I have a timing light. No it's not digital. But the timing light doesn't help TOO much when there's no corresponding tick marks. I will try what youse guys said tonight!

The dial type of timing light is just one piece of the puzzle. You have to make sure it is TDC or 0 and utilize the above recommendations (i.e. lobes are at 10 and 2 oclock and oil pump slot is at 11.25 or 11.28 (depending on which book you read or what others say). Once you are sure that it is at 0 then either clock wise or counter clock wise on distributor, assuming that rotor is lined up with number #1 spark plug, start car and let it idle for awhile then turn distributor a little bit at a time..you'll know when you are advancing when your RPM goes up some and when retard the car will idle rough. While you are doing this, the timing light (dial type or digital) will come in handy since you can set it.

Once this you are set, maybe 10 degrees not sure of timing..an car runs okay, then take it for a spin, specially at hiway and listen for pinging noise, if there is then back up a little bit on distributor (mark distributor prior to doing this) so that you have a bench mark..just a little turn that's all it takes.

That;s just timing,, more than likely you may have to adjust the carb which is another subject but one thing at a time...good luck