Right timming mark

supercrawler

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

DSC07673_zpsfbe337f0.jpg

Yes, that is the mark for 10 degrees BTDC.

I'm not getting this.

If the crank turns upward (clockwise) then the advance numbers/notches should be 0 +5 +10 +15 +20 with 0 (TDC) at the bottom. The 3rd notch up would be +15 degrees before the 0 (TDC) rises up and passes the marker. Advance has to be ahead of the 0 mark

Because there are no numbers on the pulley it's possible that the notches are -5 0 +5 +10 +15 +20 (from bottom to top) .... This would give a +10 degree advance on the white.

Yes, it works the opposite of a stationery pointer and 4 (or 5) marks on the pulley.

Some of those pointers mount on the other side of the timing cover under the dizzy. If you can't time it maybe the pointer should be over there.

Here is another picture, maybe it will help.

BTDC125.jpg

This is a real close up, slightly out of focus, but you can see one mark is bigger than all the others.

The big mark is Top Dead Center, TDC for short. The pulley turns clockwise, under the stationary pointer. This engine has not yet reached TDC, it is Before TDC, or BTDC for short. Each if the marks, big and little are 5 degrees apart. This engine is sitting at about 12.5 degrees before top dead center.

My pulley has a bunch of weird notches on it. If I'm remembering correctly, it has five notches plus one WAY out at like 30 or 40 degrees or something. From what I had read, I always put TDC at the notch second from the bottom. What I learned from having the head off was that true TDC was right on the first notch, so I had been timing 5 degrees more advance than I thought. After some later inspection, I discovered that the TDC mark was only very slightly larger than the others -- not as drastic of a difference as DanielC's picture.

Like Hainz said, it would be good to verify with the cam and or distributor, but because of possible timing chain wear and such, I don't see how you could tell if it's spot on? I had to check mine by visual confirmation of the piston reaching TDC, with the timing cover and pulley still on. I was changing a head gasket... I just did it by blocking the chain tensioner and making sure it doesn't come out, pulling up on the chain with my hand, and then rocking the crank **slightly** back and forth until you're sure the piston won't go up any higher. Your pointer looks straight, so it should point right at one of your notches. Mine was a little bent, so I bent is back to be centered on one of the notches.