rochester monojet on a14 engine? crazy or possible?

cxune

Gentlemen and rats:

I was given an old friend's '80 210 wagon, wherein lies an A14 engine, 5 speed manual. I'd like to get it running on the cheap, and I have a couple of single barrel carbs that I have run on old GM straight 6 engines. With my dad's help I can make an aluminum adapter to get the old rochester monojet to bolt up.. but my question is.. seeing as this carb was designed for a larger engine in mind, would it be possible to adjust it to work on the A14.. ?

The old Datsun was running when parked, but it was parked about 20 years ago. The Hitachi carb doesn't seem to work. Neither does the fuel pump- I'm looking around for an electric one I think we might have stashed somewhere- maybe adjusted the fuel pressure might help perhaps?

While we are at it, can anyone perhaps tell me what emissions control stuff I can't take off this engine- anything that would keep it from running?- because otherwise I'm inclined to get all that stuff out of the way (and in my state that should not be much of an issue).

Any help will be much appreciated,

Cheap in Texas

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not knowing much about the Monojet, I would assume it's designed to have a lot more air pulled through it than you can make with an A14. A straight 6 is over twice the CID. If it is a single throat, it is probably a big one. The only thing I know about Rottenchesters is how to replace them with a Holley. But some people love them. Trying to save $ here will only cost more $ down the road.

Go to the for sale section and find a used 32/36 dgv Weber, or a stock replacement, put a stock fuel pump on it, and close the hood. Good luck

Not knowing much about the Monojet, I would assume it's designed to have a lot more air pulled through it than you can make with an A14. A straight 6 is over twice the CID. If it is a single throat, it is probably a big one. The only thing I know about Rottenchesters is how to replace them with a Holley. But some people love them. Trying to save $ here will only cost more $ down the road.

Go to the for sale section and find a used 32/36 dgv Weber, or a stock replacement, put a stock fuel pump on it, and close the hood. Good luck

Yep, every thing he said. Not enough vacuum signal to work properly