Welders....what do ya got??

I have the Lincoln 140 with the bottle, 120VAC. I have worked the hell outta that thing, and sometimes it does stop feeding from me overusing it. But thats after hours of continuous welding. Ive welded everything from 20 guage to 1/4 plate with it. The trick with these to weld thick metal is .023 wire and crank the heat all the way up.

I loathe and despise flux core, wouldnt use it on anything. According to my local welding shop, you can mig with straight CO2, I havent tried it yet.

Having said that, i love the 140, I hate using somebody else's welder. Every welding machine has a personality all its own. Once you get used to it, your welds will be Mona Lisa beautiful, but use a different machine, and it could very well look like your first bead ever.

If you weld alot, buy the biggest spool of wire you can, its a bummer when you are almost done with something at midnight only to find out that dinky litle 1lb spool is empty. Keep plenty of contact tips on hand also.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

well the wife told me to get a plasma/tig so i think i am going to order this one http://www.everlastwelders.ca/product_details.php?id=371 tig/stick/plasma all in one my neibour has the 256 one and loves it. here is a good info site......http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com and here is a review from the same site. http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/multiprocess-welder.html .. i hope this help some of you out?

Im probably gonna get a lot of heat from this, but i have a plasma cutter I never use. I cut everything with an oxyacetylene torch or a cutoff wheel. One of my previous employers required me to use a torch alot so its like riding a bicycle for me. I have cut everything you can imagine including 1 1/4 plate steel.

Thats a pretty fancy machine there. looks like a good one, but Im leery of anything with that many dials and switches and digital readouts. Those sort of little electronic things break, especially in a non climate controlled garage. Condensation will wreak havoc with things like that.

Im probably gonna get a lot of heat from this, but i have a plasma cutter I never use. I cut everything with an oxyacetylene torch or a cutoff wheel. One of my previous employers required me to use a torch alot so its like riding a bicycle for me. I have cut everything you can imagine including 1 1/4 plate steel.

Thats a pretty fancy machine there. looks like a good one, but Im leery of anything with that many dials and switches and digital readouts. Those sort of little electronic things break, especially in a non climate controlled garage. Condensation will wreak havoc with things like that.

i to have torches but every time i want to use them it seems a bottle is empty plus they are kinda old now not sure if hoses are still good.on the plus side no empty bottles

i to have torches but every time i want to use them it seems a bottle is empty plus they are kinda old now not sure if hoses are still good.on the plus side no empty bottles

The hoses and a new torch tip is a pretty cheap spend, if you have them usable you will wonder how you got by without them