Auto to Dogleg Help

imtb

Hello,

I am converting 72 510 from Floor shift auto. to Dogleg. Ready to do install but was wondering if anyone could let me know the if I need to enlarge the floor shift hole or do I need to cut a new one for the dogleg.

Thanks.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You will need to cut the auto hole bigger, cuz it's actually really small. Best bet is to slip the trans up in place, bolt it to the engine with the tail of the trans hanging down, but on a floor jack. From the interior, slowly & methodically trim away more metal with a cutoff wheel, until the shifter extension can be shifted up into position, with approximately an inch all around (for engine/trans movement)........don't be an ape and use a chisel!!! Seen it done that way too many times. :sneaky:

Hey a couple things ,if you have a junk yard near by try and get cover plate for floor from a 620 720 truck (usually before cut) I think you flip it and covers old hole and makes for easy boot action on shifter , also my plug I make a stainless hose from clutch mc to slave one hose 4ft with banjo fittings on both ends ,or lower side only on slave cyl. some cust request it that way also some headers require a spacer under trans xmember to clear floor.

The two automatic interlock wires Black/Yellow stripe need to be joined and soldered together. Thes prevent the starter from working unless in PARK or NEUTRAL. Without the interlock switch they need to be joined.

The two reverse light wires, Red/Black stripe need to be connected to the reverse light switch on the dogleg. The reverse switch is located on the passenger (right) side, on the rear or tailshaft. In the picture below it's the upper left switch (just above the 63A#2 stamp). The wires can go to either terminal.

FS5W63doglegID002-1.jpg

Mike, you need to make a note that the wiring is a tad more complicated than that. There are relays, and such that need to be removed.

A few wiring diagrams for the 510, dont show every component for the auto cars.

Gonna see if I can find what I wrote regarding the wiring awhile back.

What you said is correct Mike, except, its not that easy.

There are no Red/black wires at the plug on the auto tranny.

"You have a Relay on the passenger sidewall in the engine bay, near the battery behind the lights. 3 pin. 1 wire will be black/red, the other 2 are red/black.

Simply take these 2 red/blacks and connect them to the reverse switch.

The inhibitor switch has 4 wires, 2 are the starter interlock. 1 is black (ground) and 1 black/red, which the tranny connects to the black when in reverse. This grounded black/red closes the relay allowing the reverse lights to turn on.

On a side note, I completely disabled the starter interlock and didnt connect it to the clutch switch. I can bump the starter at any point (but who does that?) Mainly because there was a starter relay also next to the reverse relay, and I wanted to delete both.

The starter interlock takes power from the black/yellow, and when in neutral/park passes the power through to the other black/yellow attached, This closes the starter relay, which then passes the power from the black/yellow through to the starter."

Um, there is a plug on your auto tranny.

On that plug there are 2 Black with yellow wires. Connect them.

On your passenger side inner fender, behind the headlights, there are 2 relay things screwed to the inner fender.

One of these 2 relays, will have 2 Red with Black wires. You need to take these Red/Black wires and connect them to the top rear switch.

IMG_5830-1.jpg