found 280 zx struts in ok,rusty condition...buy'em ?

macgyver

so I found 280zx front struts with calipers, hubs, complete assy. but looks like I'm going to have to strip,power coat, and rebuild completely . My question is do I buy these or wait for better ones to pop up? If they pop up? want to do a coil over swap on "the soon to be" mine, 510

thanks

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends how rusty they are. Can you use the calipers? I imagine the rotor is toast anyway. You can't use the spring. So what's left is a strut that is slightly shorter than your 510 but will mount zx calipers. The insert or damper (shock absorber) is also likely very worn out.

I would get them cheap as possible or not at all. Remove the spring, trim the bottom spring perch off and grind down the weld. Take your 510 strut, remove the spring perch and the 510 spring and trim no more than one coil off it and install on the zx strut. Use a simple split collar under the perch to set your ride height... it's totally adjustable and needs no welding. For the strut damper, empty out the thin 5w hydraulic oil and re-fill with 20w motorcycle fork oil to firm up the action.

You should be able to do this for about $50, the car now has adjustible ride height, the spring rate is increased about 50% from 100 to about 150 pounds per inch and the damper is firmer.

"If they pop up?" seems to me the thing you are up against. I have no idea how often ZX parts show up within a reasonable distance from where you are, but I'm thinking it may not be often, at least compared with out here in the West. So you may have to pay a lot more for struts, unless you get lucky. I just weighed one of mine on the bathroom scale and it is about 43 pounds (not sure how accurate the scale is). That is strut, spring, hub, and rotor, but no caliper. If the spring was off it would save a few pounds, but probably still over 35 lbs. That might give you an idea what shipping cost might be. At Pull n Save in Spokane, I paid $22 for one strut and another $7 for the rotor/hub, plus about 9% sales tax, so about $32. If your $150 price is for the pair, that is about $43 more than I paid. But shipping would probably eat up most of that. So I'm thinking if it is $75 per strut, it is high by West coast standards, but maybe not so bad in your situation. datzenmike has posted before that RWD Maxima struts are very close to the same as ZX ones, if you happened onto a set of those at a reasonable price. Consider moving out West, where Datsun parts are cheap n easy to find!

Len

lol, I wish I was in cali!! The condition out there is what the question is. I would pay the shipping if all i have to do is a quick rattle can after I grind off the perch then bolt them right in. these ones I need to do a complete rebuild.

are you saying you can get a pair for me at you local yard that are in good shape? if so then all i would need are rotor and pads.

Brian

Hi Brian - I guess what I was thinking is that given the weight of a pair of struts and the time it would take someone out West here to remove and pack them, along with the shipping cost, you are probably going to have to get some locally where you are even if they cost you quite a bit. Although if someone out West (not me) wants to get you some, that would be great. I now and then pick up and mail small parts for guys here on Ratsun, but boxing up heavy struts for shipping sounds like a lot of work. Maybe someone else has shipped some and can comment.

It bugs me all the Datsun parts I see in Spokane P&S that I know are going to end up being crushed. Especially 5-speed trannys. But for me to put in the time to pull them and somehow arrange to get them to Seattle or Portland OR, just isn't practical. Especially since there is a chance of them having a problem of some sort when finally installed.

Len

Thanks drew, let me know how much shipped to 11779.... That would save me the sandblasting/powercoating and calipers.. U texted me rt ?

Yes that was me. I suggested that also becuase by just buying struts,hubs and calipers it would save you some money on shipping that you could use towards new rotors

macgyver, extend your search to include the '80 and up Maxima sedan or goon. The Maxima is built on the zx platform and shares many similar parts.

Maxima and 710 struts (510 similar)

1TBexternalharddrive004Large.jpg

Here are my Maxima goon struts (with 710 coils) and monster calipers on my 710.

710strutupgrade004Large.jpg

As soon as you say zx the price goes way up. These are as good, the rotors are a mm or two smaller diameter, but the rotors vented. Big pads and calipers, shorter struts, larger bearings. Be sure to get the Maxima 15/16" master cylinder to work these puppys.... you'll need it.

ZX struts on the east coast are harder to find. They usually have lots of surface rust. West coast sets are usually cleaner/ less rust, but shipping a set of 100# struts to the east coast is not cheap. And most sellers do not want to strip them down for you to save weight.

The surface rust is easy to remove with a belt sander after you disassemble,remove the spring perches and grind down the weld, etc. I have sanded them by hand but a belt sander works better.

280ZX's are 29 - 33 years old. If you are going to go to the trouble of disassembling the struts, cutting off the spring perch, grinding and painting the strut tube and reassembling the struts, it really is time to rebuild the entire system while you have it all apart and know you are starting with new front brakes, wheel bearings and springs/inserts.

Rotors are so cheap it is not worth it to use the old ones. I got my last set on sale at Rock Auto for $30 for the pair. Also, rebuilt calipers at the same place were under $35 each.

I built mine that way.

ZX struts

New Rotors, rebuilt calipers and new wheel bearings

GC coilovers, Hypercoil 200# springs

Tokico Illumina Inserts

T3 camber plates

2" shaft Collars

Coil%20Over%20Struts%20Installed%20002.jpg.opt933x699o0,0s933x699.jpg

Or you can buy them already done from T3 for $800 for a pair.

https://technotoytun...x-strut-casings