Help clarify a Vehicle Identification Tag (imported 510?)

Hey guys,

I have a question regarding my door tag. I had a Datsun owner come over today to buy some parts. he saw my tag and deciphered that mine must have been imported from Nissan-Japan. He states that it may have been ordered or brought over by military personnel in cargo, what have you. I asked why he would think that and he stated that the tag has "Nissan" on it and not Datsun in 72'.

Can anyone bring any light to this subject? for all i know they all say "Nissan" don't want to be mislead.

FYI the car does have rear defogging glass and a windshield from Australia.

7D9C5050-06CF-469B-9EB7-2F431C1EBA15-2496-000002C9B413CE3E.jpg

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with you that I doubt it is imported BUT is it fair to say that ALL Dat's made in Japan are RHD? just curious. Thanks for the link to the Autocheck, very cool!

Weren't all Dattos built in Japan..?

Just imported here? I have Japanese characters on some interior parts on my 510.

• Like 1

All Datsuns were manufactured by Nissan.

All Datsuns were "imported", IE: none were made here.

The PL in the vin number states that it was built to be exported to "L"eft hand drive markets. All Japanese models were RHD.

If it was a Japanese market vehicle, all of the lettering would be in Japanese.

Datsun, and all Japanese makes of that period were notorious for using up what was on the shelf before they went to the next style of part. So it's exceedingly common for, say a 1971 model, to still use a couple 1970 parts, and vice versa. So your 72 could easily have a few 73 pieces, if they ran out of 72 stuff early, and just started using the 73 parts onhand.

Australia glass is common, we imported a pile of a few years back. Common thing to do.

Curious as to what "73" items he thinks you have. The 72 and 73 are identical, except for things like side impact door bars, illuminated light/wiper knobs, and a couple other bits. It would take a trained eye to notice the difference, and if the guy was that knowledgeable he should have known it wasn't a Japanese market car.

That tag is a US-market 510 tag. Nothing special, that tag looks just like every US-market '72 510. See where it says "Federal"? That's the FMVSS tag, which was required after the 1968 model year. Which are only on US-Spec cars.

That car was imported... in 1972. Along with a couple hundred thousand of its siblings, on a big ship, probably to Long Beach but also Seattle or other ports.

All Datsuns were manufactured by Nissan.

All Datsuns were "imported", IE: none were made here.

The PL in the vin number states that it was built to be exported to "L"eft hand drive markets. All Japanese models were RHD.

If it was a Japanese market vehicle, all of the lettering would be in Japanese.

Datsun, and all Japanese makes of that period were notorious for using up what was on the shelf before they went to the next style of part. So it's exceedingly common for, say a 1971 model, to still use a couple 1970 parts, and vice versa. So your 72 could easily have a few 73 pieces, if they ran out of 72 stuff early, and just started using the 73 parts onhand.

Australia glass is common, we imported a pile of a few years back. Common thing to do.

Curious as to what "73" items he thinks you have. The 72 and 73 are identical, except for things like side impact door bars, illuminated light/wiper knobs, and a couple other bits. It would take a trained eye to notice the difference, and if the guy was that knowledgeable he should have known it wasn't a Japanese market car.

best explanation yet: I was looking at the guy "cross-eyed" like what the hell are you talking about? but when a guy is handing you cash money for parts you don't burn bridges. just smile and nod. LOL

I learned a lot in this thread and would like it to die now. thanks guys.