TIMING CHAIN QUESTION

BOZO

I am replacing the timing chain on the L18 in my 74 Datsun truck because the plunger on the chain tensioner was sticking out .440 from the body. It is not the original motor, but was replaced with another new (supposedly 1974) L18 years ago. My dillema is there was 42 pins between the timing marks on this engine when I tore it down. My repair manual says 70 thru 73 L16 and L18 engines have 42 pins between the mating marks, and 74 thru 80 L18 and L20 engines have 44. I took my head down to Bill at my local NAPA machine shop (whom I trust) to be rebuilt, and asked him about this. He looked it up and said there was only one chain listed for the L18 and I should put it back together with 42 pins between mating marks because the deck hieght is the same as the L16 (L20 deck hieght is taller). Is my Chilton manual wrong? Or was my engine assembled wrong before? It always ran good with lots of bottom end torque. My camshaft sprocket location notch lined up perfectly with the oblong groove on the camshaft retaining plate, so I don't think things are very far off. I hope I haven't written this up too complicated to understand.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic