Calculate actual gas mileage when your speedo is wrong

Hey so I know most of us have speedo's that don't read correct which makes your odometer off as well making your gas mileage calculation mean nothing.

I got tired of not really knowing my mpg's so I made up a way to calculate accurate mileage.

First you find a speed on your speedo I chose 55

Then you find your actual speed when it reads the speed you chose with one of those speed signs or a gps. Mine was 65

Then you divide your actual speed by your indicated speed 65/55= 1.18

Then when you calculate your total number of miles you times it by that number to get your actual number of miles

I thought I got 20.62 mpg but I actually got 24.28 mpg! Much better number!!

Anyway thought I'd share a solution to the problem allot of us have, hope this helps some of you

• Like 1
  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i just fill up my tank (approx 12 gallons)

and at around 250 miles or so i refill,

see how many gallons it takes to refill (9-10)

subtract that from 12, and then divide the number of miles ive driven by how many gallons

example 250 miles traveled using 10 gallons 250/10=25mpg

my speedo is FUCT. i have nooo idea how fast im going, i just cruise with traffic.

• Like 1

i just fill up my tank (approx 12 gallons)

and at around 250 miles or so i refill,

see how many gallons it takes to refill (9-10)

subtract that from 12, and then divide the number of miles ive driven by how many gallons

example 250 miles traveled using 10 gallons 250/10=25mpg

my speedo is FUCT. i have nooo idea how fast im going, i just cruise with traffic.

how do you know how many miles you have travled its your speedo and therefor your odometer are off/ not reading?

^ oh yeah, i forgot about that part (youre completely right.)

i had used the same method before i changed my wheel/tire combo (which is what now throws off my speedo)

and the numbers/mileage/mpg are fairly similar.

Well you Calculate the miles normal like you usually would but then you times it by a number to correct for the percent your mileage is off to get the correct number of miles traveled.

I don't know why mine is off cause the tires are really close to stock and the rear is 4.11 gears like factory... Tranny is unknown tho but I'm doing a 5 speed swap that I know has the matching gears for my rear end

Use the interstate mileage markers. 60 mph for time, distance and speedometer error.

I was always amazed after getting a new watch how accurate the odomEter was in the '68 ford wagon going to the lake and back. I must have been about 7 at the time.