u joints?

racerx

Okay I have a 1971 Datsun 510 and lately I have been hearing a clunk noise when I take off also a grinding noise/scraping noise when take off then it goes away. I am thinking it's my Ujoints but then again its IRS so how many should I have and how do I go about replacing them since it does not make sense to replace one and not the others. Or should a shop do this and how much do you think a shop will charge me..while I am changing these out what other things should I keep in mind. So any tech assistance is aprpeciated. I finally got my dime on the road with dropping an L18 and the noise is getting louder:(

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I jack up the rear and I move the tire and watch the stub axles.

Sometimes move it back and forth.

or keep it in gear and move the tire and watch the U joints.

I have been buying the GMB brand U joints but there are some USA made unites at 40-50$ which is alot and you need 4 to do a complete job so I usaully fix only what is broken as I have about 4 spare stub axles and I just swap them out when one goes bad and have them fixed later.(about 10$ back then to change if you want some one to do it)

Most times you accelerate keeping tension on the joint youll have a clunk untill you let of the gas then it will backlash and cause another clunk. If you have more a constance noise its something else

GMB also list a 4X4 version of 510 u joints . I really dont know if they are better or not. shoul be same as a 240Z part#

ps get then wrenches and rotate the wheel axle to get full movent from top or bottom to remove those bolts with out rounding them off!!!!!!!

2eDeYe;62834']They are easy to change out if you have a large vice. A large c clamp will work in a pinch though.

BFH will aid in old joint removal ;)

Here's a link to a writeup on u-joint replacement. It's for a front axle u-joint but the principle is the same.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/ujoint_install/

what the heck is a BFH?