Presidential debate

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tesla did work for Edison, but quit after Edison was pushing dc power and created oc power, way better.

Tesla was a fucking genius, made so many things way before his time. Some things that are not allowed in the country. Like the tesla geo thermal power generator that creat electricity from using the earths naturally accruing geo thermal energy. The government tore it down after he died because their was no way to plug a meter into it and make profit from free energy.

I'm kind of a fan and have read a ton of stuff on tesla

Didn't he work for Edison?

Haha. He was the only one to give a negative quote about Edison after his death in the NY Times.

He had no hobby, cared for no sort of amusement of any kind and lived in utter disregard of the most elementary rules of hygiene. [...] His method was inefficient in the extreme, for an immense ground had to be covered to get anything at all unless blind chance intervened and, at first, I was almost a sorry witness of his doings, knowing that just a little theory and calculation would have saved him 90% of the labor. But he had a veritable contempt for book learning and mathematical knowledge, trusting himself entirely to his inventor's instinct and practical American sense.

(from Wikipedia)

Tesla did work for Edison, but quit after Edison was pushing dc power and created oc power, way better.

Tesla was a fucking genius, made so many things way before his time. Some things that are not allowed in the country. Like the tesla geo thermal power generator that creat electricity from using the earths naturally accruing geo thermal energy. The government tore it down after he died because their was no way to plug a meter into it and make profit from free energy.

I'm kind of a fan and have read a ton of stuff on tesla

Thats not accurate actually. He began working for Edison and helped to get his direct current generator working by basically completely redesigning it. Which Edison later got a patent for. Tesla then offered to redesign Edisons motors to which Edison said he would pay him 50000 if he could. After Tesla did Edison basically told him it was just a joke and offered him a small raise. This was common with Edison, a lot of his work was only possible because of his staff which was never given proper credit or reward. Seeing the kind of person he was and that Edison had no respect what so ever for Tesla he quit then and there. Their feud over AC/DC followed and got pretty heated. Tesla won the bid for the worlds fair and Edison couldnt understand how Tesla could bid so low. Edison was so bitter over the feud he actually went on tours holding exhibitions about how unsafe AC was by electrocuting and killing animals in front of stunned crowds.

The geothermal project as well as the power transmission tower was demolished because J. P. Morgan was the sponsor and ordered it. Once he found out Tesla was working on projects that would take coin out of his pockets he stopped his funding and support. Its the same reason Tesla died a poor man. Damn shame too...

Living in NJ they teach Edison history ad nauseam... I'm 30min from his museum in, you guessed it, Edison NJ lol.

Tesla was the man. I wish he could have lived 10 lifetimes. The world would be a different place.

You guys ever watch funny or die? Drunken history is hilarious lol, though not terribly accurate haha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gOR91oentQ

It's also not accurate to say that AC is better than DC. AC is arguably better for generators, transmission, and electric motors, but terrible for storage (you cannot store frequency) and embedded electronics.

When Edison started selling power, he did so using 100 V DC generators. As more customers were added on in parallel, the voltage drop across the load went down so more losses were seen in the transmission conductor. Think of the load as constant power (P = VI) and the resistance in the conductor as constant as well (Rwire = V/I, with losses P = I^2 Rwire). Tesla recognized that if the voltage were to be increased, that the current would decrease as a result. If the current decreased, so did the voltage drop across the transmission conductor because of the constant ratio relationship.

Antonio Pacinotti had previously shown that if you wrap two wires around a common core and apply a signal to one, you get a similar signal with a different magnitude at the other. Tesla developed this idea into the transformer, but it required a change in magnetic flux to induce a voltage on the second winding (V = N dΦ/dt). AC is the way to do that. Now the voltage could be stepped up and with the pleasant side effect of creating a rotating magnetic field for electric motors. Edison hated the idea though, presumably because he had already invested money into his DC system. When Tesla left, he took his ideas to Westinghouse and rightfully won the current wars.

That said, I'm not sure that AC is always better at transmission these days. HVDC is somewhat interesting.

Side note: In the U.S., Westinghouse adopted a 60 Hz because it was high enough to eliminate light flicker, synchronized with time, and reduced the size and weight of rotating machines and transformers. In Europe, Siemens used 50 Hz. In Japan, they originally bought equipment from Europe and after WWII they bought from the U.S. So part of Japan is 50 Hz and part is 60 Hz.