77 B210 gets HOT

Guest Jamee

I am proud owner of a 77 B210 and I was wondering if anyone other than myself has an issue with their little motors getting really hot. is it just a small motor thing? I noticed my radcap was in bad need of replacing so I did that and it takes a little longer for it to get hot now, but I cant go long distances or up a ton of hills without having to turn the heater on. Opinions? thoughts? thanks.

Jamee :)

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not normal at all. If anything they actually run cold.

What thermostat do you have in it and how old is it?

The rad could probably use a cleaning at this point also. The cheap redneck way was to pull the radiator, flush with a garden hose once. Then put a cup of Tide detergent in the radiator hole, add water, shake and flush with the hose until it runs clean. Helps if you shake it every once in a while during the flush. Usually this was the first thing I'd do when picking up up a new car or rad. While the rad is out change the thermostat also.

• 4 weeks later...

Well first what's your definition of hot? Some think that once the gauge goes beyond half way that this is 'over heated'.

What makes you think it's hot?

What gauge do you have?Factory? Where does the gauge read?

Assuming for a moment that it is indeed running into the above normal temperature range.

If doing it at high speeds the lower return rad hose may be collapsing from the pump suction. Rev the motor up and watch it and see. Squeeze it... is it gooey soft?

At high speeds you don't need a fan because there is lots of air pushed through the rad by vehicle motion. (or should be) If it runs hot the rad may be plugged up with scale and deposits. Dirt, leaves, plastic bag stuck to the front? Dirt/bugs stuck in the fins?

At low speeds it's likely a water flow or air.

Clutch fan working? Very firm to turn is good

Fan belt snug? is it glazed or soaked with oil?... slipping, squealing?

Fab shroud there or has it been removed?

Does it use rad water? Does it overflow?

A14 runs hot like most engines -- around 180 to 200 degrees, depending on thermostat.

If the temp varies a lot (gets hotter when you drive faster, but cools down when you idle) then the radiator has a problem.

But anwhere between the L and H marks is OK. Only if it actually touches the H mark is it a problem requiring action -- check your Owner's Manual. If it often gets near the H mark you may wish to replace the radiator before the weather gets warmer.

Really hot as in the water boiling?? Make a check list of what datzenmike said and check what actual temperature is your car running the gauge/sending unit might be playing games with you(Stick one of those baking temperature meter into your radiator ;) ). My 1964 Chevy C-10 was running "HOT" but in reality the sending unit wasn't working properly. Good luck and keep us inform.

• 2 weeks later...

you guys are awesome. Im going to go through all the check lists and get back to you. Also its factory Gauge. :D

I'm pretty sure it is my radiator but I am hoping it is something really super cheap to fix, I cant afford a radiator and i will go all girly on you all and cry. lol