Rear tires rubbing on frame?

Zlich

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The stock tire is about 28" tall but only 8.5" wide. If you have wider this might explain it.

pics??

Your bump stops maybe gone.

The leaf spring supports the axle laterally as well as forward and back. The axle (and the tires) are free to move up and down, but side to side movement is very restricted. As the frame (and the bump stops) is directly above the leaf springs the tires should not be hitting them.

so has anyone else had a problem with a 81 datsun with the rear tires rubbing on the frame when they are offroading? I have the stock rims and the tires are 29in and they seem to rub on the frame but the axle is the stock axle.

1 Is it rubbing on both sides or just one side?

2 How do you know the rims are stock, have you owned it since it was new?

3 Same question about the axle, how far away are the tires from the frame/leafs when sitting on level ground?

4 Are they the same distance from the frame on both sides?

5 Is the truck sitting stock height, or has it been raised?

Do you have any photos of your truck and the affected area?

I will take some pictures and my step dad says they are stock because they look like the stock rims on just about every datsun 720 we have seen. i dont know for sure. I will take some pictures its the rear end that is hitting the frame and it is rubbing on both sides.

DSCN1153.jpg

drivers side rear

DSCN1152.jpg

passenger side. you can see where the tires rub against the frame. and both sides are just a little over 2 inches away from the frame.DSCN1150.jpg it is stock hight I belive enless someone did a leaf spring lift in the back cause I dont see any blocks on the back.

When sitting level there are 2" between tires and frame? Two things...

There are leaves missing from the springs to allow more suspension travel. With one wheel on a hump and the other side in a hole the axle will have to effectively rotate around the driveshaft. The upper wheel then has enough negative camber to rub the frame.

The springs were re arched to give more lift. A horizontal spring pack will resist the axle moving side to side. The more arch the easier it is for the spring to 'lean over' on hard turns or on sever suspension travel.

Post a pic of your leaf springs.

Are you driving over big rocks when this rubbing occurs?

I can't really tell from the small photo, but it looks like it might be raised a little, at least it does in the front.

It's an 81 datsun, so it has the narrow axle anyway, and as datzenmike suggested, if the leafs have been modified/changed to suit a specific purpose, they quite likely will allow the axle to tilt to the extent of letting the top of the tire rub the frame.

Another issue could be that the leaf bushings could be wore out, this can allow the axle to shift sideways undetermined amounts, depending on how much sideways pressure there is.

Does it rub when you are driving slow or fast?

Y'know what I'd do? Get wheels that don't have so much negative offset. Just looking at those wheels, they have significant neg offset. My 620 4X4s are zero offset or positive (the one with 31s on it).

Also, you're missing the overload leaf, so it's gonna flex a LOT on trails. Axle articulation is fine, but you need to move the tires out.

My 1980 leaf set looks just like his datsunaholic, 2 arched ones above one thick and one short set of straight ones, that doesn't mean that someone didn't mess with mine also though.

The tires are huge, as datsunaholic said above, you need a differant set of rims with less neg. offset.

I would upgrade them but im not one for lifts and Im only planning on putting 31's on it dont plan on going much bigger on it till I can get some money saved up to drop a v8 in it and then Im gunna swap the rear axle out with a 12 bolt posi 1/2 ton chevy axle

Maybe those are 2wd spring packs?

I beleave they are 4WD leafs, as the bushing eye is centered on the leaf end, and I beleave that only the 4X4 leafs had the eye in the center, I have a set of 1980 4WD rear leafs that look exactly like his in the back yard, here are some photos of one of them.

DSCN0009.jpg

DSCN0008.jpg

DSCN0010.jpg

run wheel spacers. The axle is to narrow for the frame. I have the same problem. Nothing is wrong with your spring pac. there is only 4 in there. Same ones i have on my 82 4x4. mine rubbed with 31'' tires, with 2'' lift blocks, and now it rubs with 33'' tires and grand wagoneer springs in the back. Its not something i worry about, as they only rub at times when i am climbing over something and my truck is on an incline. Like the side of a hill or something. I am pretty sure that this is a problem with all 4x4's. run the offset rims. I have a set of chevy rims on mine, and the rubbing went way down. for a cheap fix, I would do wheel spacers. or a different axle. But i am pretty sure that the H190 is just too narrow for our frames.

Mostly for the trucks, not much car stuff. :lol:

hey wayno you wouldnt happen to have any ideas on where to find some floor pans for my pickup? my driver side floor pan is pretty much gone and i have a minor hole on my passenger side.