Any ideas on what's going on?

Naco1

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok so I ran the seafoam out and I guess it cleaned everything out real good, now I have oil coming out of my tailpipe. I stuck my finger in the tailpipe(giggity) and My finger came out with black wet oil. Craaaap! So. Yea, what now?

You ran a bunch of solvent (seafoam) through it, you have to expect crap in the tailpipe. It might take some time to get rid of.

Did you drive around and burn off all the seafoam???

Is it still smoking?

Have you driven it a few hundred miles to see if it's using any oil yet??? This, (oil consumption) is the best indicator that something is wrong.

Don't be in a hurry to pull the head. It has good compression. Check between the valve spring coils... how do the valve seals look? Are any broken or in pieces???

If the head gasket goes most of the time you get milky coolant. I don't know how the oil and water pathways are setup in these engines since i'm new to datsuns but that would be the first thing i would check on any other car if i suspected a bad headgasket. Plus if the gasket is bad the car will drive like a turd, and you should be able to tell its not running on all four cylinders. I've replaced 3 head gaskets and i would rather buy a new engine than do one again, its such a pita.

If the head gasket goes most of the time you get milky coolant. I don't know how the oil and water pathways are setup in these engines since i'm new to datsuns but that would be the first thing i would check on any other car if i suspected a bad headgasket. Plus if the gasket is bad the car will drive like a turd, and you should be able to tell its not running on all four cylinders. I've replaced 3 head gaskets and i would rather buy a new engine than do one again, its such a pita.

On the same lower end?

I dunno man.......freshening up an L motor top end is a whole lot simpler than that, not to mention a lot less ch$$se to boot ;)

Drove it on the freeway today and it ran like a champ! It smoked a shit load when I hopped on the on ramp, when I'm cruising it 60-65 mph it doesn't smoke at all, but its only when I give it gas from a dead stop is when it smokes. It's starting to smell like oil, but I'm going to check my oil tomorrow afternoon, see if it went down at all. Thanks for your input guys, this noob appreciates it.

On the same lower end?

I dunno man.......freshening up an L motor top end is a whole lot simpler than that, not to mention a lot less ch$$se to boot ;)

The motors i've worked with were interference motors, so it becomse a PITA when the right tools are not available to lock the cams etc. Just a headache if you ask me, also had to deal with broken head studs on the manifold on the head itself, dropped the chaing once.....so i don't ever want to take another head apart. But the L series looks a bit more simple than i've had to deal with. I have to say, it was such a breeze to get this engine into the bay, i did it alone in about 1hr. If i didn't monkey around with the mounts and hooked up the transmission the right way.....it would have been a 10 minute job. I'm not saying i'm some badass here but i just think these cars are easy to work on, unless you are reinventing the wheel.

Back to original topic - Did you pull off the valve cover to take a look at the valve stem seals? I know a visual inspection might not be sufficient but I would definitely look into that. My nissan has worn valve stem seals right now and it smokes a bit, but not to the point where i'm being followed by a cloud or by the police for creating smoke.

Is it running rich? If it were oil burning, the smoke would be blue. Have you pulled and checked the plugs? Are they oily or are they covered in black carbon?

Later

Joel

I think it's still smoking the seafoam out. The spark plugs are fouled, my guess carbon. Not wet just dark black.

The motors i've worked with were interference motors, so it becomse a PITA when the right tools are not available to lock the cams etc. Just a headache if you ask me, also had to deal with broken head studs on the manifold on the head itself, dropped the chaing once.....so i don't ever want to take another head apart. But the L series looks a bit more simple than i've had to deal with. I have to say, it was such a breeze to get this engine into the bay, i did it alone in about 1hr. If i didn't monkey around with the mounts and hooked up the transmission the right way.....it would have been a 10 minute job. I'm not saying i'm some badass here but i just think these cars are easy to work on, unless you are reinventing the wheel.

Back to original topic - Did you pull off the valve cover to take a look at the valve stem seals? I know a visual inspection might not be sufficient but I would definitely look into that. My nissan has worn valve stem seals right now and it smokes a bit, but not to the point where i'm being followed by a cloud or by the police for creating smoke.

Haven't pulled the head but a strong possibility that my seals are crap. So far it only smokes when I first start it and from a dead stop(sometimes).