Project 910R

So Ive purchased a new project. Or rather traded my 95 BMW 525i for an 82 910 diesel. Im a little crazy so that should shed light on that trade. The wagon has to be the cleanest 82 Maxi I have ever seen. Nice light blue paint and good interior. The LD28 still runs strong and is getting about 40mpg! I have several L28et's I could choice from to swap in, but I think it would be easier to start with something that is already a front sump. The RB20det was my first choice as it practically bolts in, but Ive sourced an RB25 NEO6 for the same price with an RB20 trans. I was thinking about trying to find the autobox for the RB as the Maxima is currently an automatic like most diesel Maximas and the swap would be simplified, but the manual trans for the RB20 is abundant in these parts.

The LD is going to be pulled and saved for a 240Z project in the distant future when my L28 gives up the ghost.

I already have a few turbo manifolds and several turbos to choose from when that day comes.

So Project 910R begins. I plan on picking the motor up next saturday if all works out.

I couldnt help myself. I installed the front zxt lowering springs already. Dropped the front about 2.5"!

2012-09-16082935.jpg

2012-09-16084112.jpg

http://s81.photobuck...sel 910R Wagon/

Wish me luck Ill post as make progress.

Ray

EDIT: Those wheels are killing me. Im looking for a set of Enkie Series 92 15" replacements for it

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Where did you source a cheap neo RB25 back when I wanted to do the swap they were near the $3k range unlike the RB20's I've seen $800-1500 for. Nice maxi love the wagons dropping the RB should be a pretty straight forward swap. Someone has done a RB swap on a 4 door maxi diesel I'm sure you can find the build thread on here if not google it.

Where did you source a cheap neo RB25 back when I wanted to do the swap they were near the $3k range unlike the RB20's I've seen $800-1500 for. Nice maxi love the wagons dropping the RB should be a pretty straight forward swap. Someone has done a RB swap on a 4 door maxi diesel I'm sure you can find the build thread on here if not google it.

When you have purchased 5 complete swaps and countless other items from a local engine distributor they start to lax on their pricing. Im getting it at half price. It is normally $3000, but he knows I build projects and continue to purchase what I need through him. He isnt my favorite place to buy from, but he is local(no shipping) and I have history with him. Basically I told him I was in the market for a clean RB20det complete swap and currently he is out so he offered me a NEO6 with rb20 trans and rb20 engine mounts.

Ill dig around for the build thread. Im very interested in seeing what complications may arrize as I proceed.

Damn that's pretty cool as long as the engine are in good condition and good working order you should be good. When I got my Z back in 07 I always dreamed of doing a RB swap, I have a L28ET in now but dealing with some problems to get to run perfect again.

I found this link, I think you might have to be registered to see pics but the info is there. All I know it was a 83 maxima diesel and they swapped in a RB20 in.

http://forums.maxima.org/1st-2nd-generation-maxima-1981-1984-1985-1988/608662-rb20det-swap-into-first-gen.html

• 2 weeks later...

So I picked the motor up the other weekend. Here are some pictures:

2012-09-22113824_zps47e55137.jpg

Is it wrong to pickup the swap motor in the car you are swapping it into? Im not sure. People dont have to pickup there organ transplants. Seemed a little weird.

2012-09-22113840_zps02cdda33.jpg

2012-09-22113833_zpsa3e5fa53.jpg

2012-09-22145002_zpsb326e37a.jpg

2012-09-22145015_zps98e5a367.jpg

2012-09-22113815_zps7de42b1b.jpg

Home

2012-09-22144947_zps0a103f20.jpg

2012-09-23093254_zps2c8faa36.jpg

2012-09-23122100_zps6a3adc2f.jpg

2012-09-23093205_zpsae98ece3.jpg

2012-09-23093149_zps453797b1.jpg

2012-09-23093141_zps6ab70111.jpg

Auto

2012-09-23093159_zpsba9738c8.jpg

Or Manual

2012-09-23093218_zpsd2dd6f7f.jpg

Ive already started stripping out the wire harness for the engine so I can make it a neat transplant.

Im held up at the moment waiting for a few things from the engine seller. He did not have the boost control solenoid, MAP sensor, harness was cut near the O2 so he has to send me another harness as well, and he is sending me a replacement fuel rail as the one I have is damaged.

Ive already put a pile together of parts I had on the shelf for this swap as well.

-Greddy Profec B spec 2

-timing belt tensioner and idler

-N1 water pump

-N1 oil pump

-Apexi Power intake filter and Super Intake system

-coolant and oil sending units for the Datsun

Im on the hunt for a pedal box for the maxima next to convert it to manual. If I can find it before everything else is ready to go Ill go ahead and swap in the manual transmission. The Automatic transmission is a huge undertaking that I wasnt aware of.

Apparently the auto transmission being out of a 99 LEV vehicle is completely tied into the ECU. It looks like a simple transmision but it has solenoid packs and converter lockup stuff that I should have thought about.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Im stuck in the parts collecting stage.

I need a 200sx/810/910 clutch pedal assembly(and brake pedal), and a fuel pump to start this.

I actually drive the 910 around right now with the Diesel. I installed some new shocks all the way around, and did some minor tune up stuff. Its a great little car. I was suprised that is gets near 40mpg! Its rated at like 22 and I had owned another 82 910 that actually was in line with the stated figures.

One of 2 things need to happen. If I can get my hands on the parts it will happen fast. I did my last RB swap in my 260Z in about a week over christmas vacation. Or if I can sell my F250 and buy an Excursion for my expanding family I can start the swap as is. know anyone that wants to trade me a 7.3L 4x4 Excursion for my 7.3L F250 4x4? lol

Give me a reason to drive to oregon. My father in law is up there and my wife really wants to go see him.

• 2 months later...

Ive been lagging on this project!

I was hit on Dec 2 in my 240Z and the 910 has been my DD since then! Its really hard to do a swap on a car you have to drive every day.

Im waiting for a local dealer to get in a specific used car and I will be back on track and have a new DD.

For now, Im stuck with 40mpg Diesel Maxima. The plan is to replace it with a 335D.

I bought some new rims for it. Now the car looks like Sex!

2013-01-05103352.jpg

2013-01-05103400.jpg

15x8 Rota Grids on 205 Yokohama ES100 tires!

Its really amazing what a set of good rims do to a car. It makes all the difference between ghetto and sexy.

I found that my steering rack bushings are toast.

I need to get a set of adjustable control arms and brakes next. Im doing what I can to figure out how to install 280zx front struts, but I cant get past the lower ball joint issue without converting to an ajustable 280zx control arm which I cannot seem to find.

I suspect a lot fo the front suspension could be substituted with 280zx parts, but I wont know for sure until I start takign the stuff apart.

Here is the engine as it sits:

2012-11-25135852.jpg

2012-11-25135839.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I purchased a lift pump, surge tank, AN fittings and lines, and a Bosch 044 pump for the swap. It should all be here around Tue according to the tracking.

I also replaced my wrecked 240Z with a 91 240sx. Im not fond of the S13 and Im even less fond of the the S14, but this S13 has a lot of potential and drives well(though a little harsh). It has an RB25 S1 and a lot of work/other parts.

I have the materials for both the exhaust and intercooler piping so Im set there on the Maxima, but Im still short one clutch pedal assembly!  Its the one major component holding me back from starting this.

Another part that isnt holding me back but it would be very nice to have is another stock 910 driveshaft. I have not been able to find one, but its not exactly big on my list.

Yo datsunmotorsports, there's 2 s12 200sx's in Oakland PNP both manual trans. Both have the pedal assemblys still. It would be a drive for you but it might be worth it so you can have the mani pedals. ( BTW I'm the guy who bought your 280zxt motor a few months ago)

The wag looks excellent on those grids!!

• 4 months later...

Alright this project has had some headway! Im uploading a few pictures right now!

The LD28 came out today.

The RB25 NEO was prepped, and stabbed, but NO GO!

I hit a road block.

What no-one has mention this far is that the front sump pan does NOT clear the 910 cross member. Its off by 1/2"! The back of the pan hits the front of the cross member! So I gotta pull the whole thing back out now.

I will probably cut and weld the cross member to clearance the engine 3/4". What a royal pain. Just when thought I could drop it in and go bam!

The RB20 mounts look good though for alignment and the isolators are identical to the LD28 ones!

There doesnt appear to be a big deal with the turbo down pipe and the steering shaft, but I removed the down pipe for installation purposes.

Looking forward to just getting this thing in. Now I gotta find where I put the harness and ECU that goes to it.

Ray

I could bang the pan in, but the pan only holds 5.5qts and these engines are notorious for oil starvation when the oil doesnt drain back fast enough to the sump. So Id rather add oil than dent the pan and take a little away. Either way the engine has to come back out so the cross member mods seems like a better choice.

What is that, a modified E30 grill?

I think so I not very sure but I like it!

What are you gonna do to the LD28?

It is. Hes a member here. He has a build thread but all the links are broken from what I remember. I cant remember his name...

I think so I not very sure but I like it!

What are you gonna do to the LD28?

The LD is about to get shelfed in my garage or the shed. I put a posting up on CL, which I thought was funny, but it probably sounds like Im some arrogant Datsun dude with prickitis. I asked for peoples first born or left testicle in trade... ROFL.

If someone wants to spend some exhorbant amount of money on it Id sell it, but otherwise Ill keep it around in case I ever want go back to stock. I live in Ca, CHP can still send me to the ref.

Ray

Small update. While I was under the car the other week I noted that the front suspension was really worn.

So I made a list of parts:

-Steering rack bushings

-Ball Joints

-front control arm bushings

-sway bar end links

-sway bar mount bushings

-TC rod bushings

-front brake lines

-front brakes and harware kit

-rear 2" lowering blocks 2.5" wide 5/8" center bolt

-4 U bolts 8" long 2.5" ID at least 1/2" shank

I purchased everything but the last 5 for now as its a start to get those done.

I could grab the steering rack and move it up and down a LOT!

Apparently 280zx steering rack bushings are a direct cross over. So I got some polyurithane ones on Ebay. Those worked out great. Next was ball joints. These are different than the ZX. I found some at Rock Auto for $8 ea. They were a sintch to change out being snap rings. The hard part is th bushings... You cannot press these out. The outer shell has to remain in the control arm. You will damage the control arm if you try and press them out... which is where I am at now dammit! So Now I gotta burn these out and attempt to salvage the control arm. There is a 910 in PNP right now, I may just go out there and buy a control arm if they are still there. If Im lucky there will be one in good shape.

I am having some issues with my RB20 mounts in the maxima as well. They are not perfectly aligned and show signs of stress as if the spacing between the motor and the trans mount is about 1/2 more than the spacing of the mounts. I will have to find a way to address this. I have a spare set of RB20 mounts. Ill probably drill and offset the mount hole.

IDK how I missed this thread but this is sweet.

on the RB25 oil pan, I would talk to someone about expanding the capacity to 6.5 qt and adding a baffle in the newly modified sump. this is what we did to my friends and it helped alot of the oil issues.