Engine help.....

Enrique20

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

KA would be my choice, unless you have deep pockets and want to mess with boost and tuning.

I have a KA24DE in mine, and it's worn out - much more enjoyable, and considerably faster than my semi-built L20B.

Obviously more work than an L20B, since you have to wire in EFI, fuel pump, fuel lines, all the associated bits, likely going to have to relocate the battery, etc.

I get ~28-30mpg average if I keep my foot out of it. ~25-26 if I hot rod around. I managed 35mpg on the freeway between Oregon and California, but there was lots of downhill and coasting involved, and I kept an even speed most of the way.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Any swap is going to cost you a bit outa pocket to do it right (there is nothing worse or sometimes more dangerous than a half ass swap) .. when you upgrade there are lots of things to take into concideration, proper fabrication to fit the motor and driveline, wiring, cooling, linkage .. on and on.. then upgrading whatever else necessary in the car to keep it safe with the additional power .. ie brakes, steering, suspension..

I am on board with the guys suggesting the ka24de, one of the more cost effective swaps because of the parts avalibility and the fact that every other 240 fan is dropping them out for SR's or LS1's so you can find them for next to nothing used. .. I wouldnt advise against an sr20det either you can keep it cheap just as long as you are keeping it tame and the motor stock.. They are crazy reliable as well and parts easy to find .. just a bit more expensive. The big $$ comes in when you start upgrading the crap outa things.. which when you have one of these motors that have huge industry support as far as upgrade parts is hard to stay away from ... beleive me .... I know