Wipers don't stop

253datsun

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wiper motors generally have power supplied to them all the time, and the wiper switch closes a ground connection to run the motor. Inside the motor, there is a second switch, that also grounds the motor, and allows it to run. When the wiper switch is turned to off, the wiper motor also opens it's internal switch at one point in the wiper cycle, Then it stops.

You may have to take the wiper motor apart, and see why it does not actuate the internal switch.

Trying to make sure we are seeing the same thing..

Do you mean you have to turn the switch on column to where it`s half in the off position and half of the blue mark showing through the little window ?? Are you holding it in that position because the one in the parts car wouldn`t stay in that position, when i went out and looked at it just now.

like i said im just clarifing what your having to do,, to stop them..

Yes, this sounds like the park circuit is not working. That switch inside is stuck.

Unplug the wiper motor. If you get a continuity tester, check and see if there is a connection between the Yellow and the Black wires on the motor plug. Be sure you have the wipers parked at the bottom of the windshield. If ther is a connection then the switch is stuck inside the motor.

Ya I have to keep it right in the middle... I took the cover off the little contact where the wires plug into the motor and that contact is stuck closed... I messed with the 4 wires coming off it that have female connectors and that contact won't lift... I can lift it with my finger and they will stop where they are at... I'll try opening it up this weekend maybe while it's still nice... Thanks guys

I dont think you have to open it up ,,isn`t the switch under a little cover on top of motor that you can pop off with a screw driver??

( edit )

Went out and played with the 79 and i dont think that little switch is the park switch as i had thought... so you probably do have to take the whole cover off ,,like those guys merntioned.