l16 running issue

jack wagner

ok im having an issue with my l16 . ever since i bought my 510 ive had an issue with it idling at like 1500 and if i turned down the idle it would just die. over the period ive owned it i installed a 32/36 (still idled high), then when installing an electronic dizzy and msd blaster 2 coil i noticed cylinder 1 had 0 compression and the rest were low, so then i installed a fresh a87 peanut head and custom ground cam . it runs now (still idles at 1500) and if i try to set my ignition timing it stalls at anything lower then 30 degrees ???? i rechecked my cam timing and im at a loss of what it could be . any thoughts on this would be great

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Watch while naked 3 times. There are 4? in the series but one of them covers setting the cam timing correctly. Once you are absolutely sure the cam is positioned correctly in relation to the crank (timed) go on from there.

The motor can't possibly run at 30 degrees advance, so maybe you're reading the timing scale wrong or using the timing light wrong. Is it set for 4 cylinder??

RPM seems high but what are you using for a tach??? Is it set for 4 cylinder??

YOu adjust the mixture per the instructions?

Is this a idle seliniod weber dgv???

speed screw set right?

So by putting in another distributor you lost compression?????

0 comp means ,

cracked valve, Cracked piston

valave lash set tight.

so its running on 3 cylinders???????

ck cam timming, ck dizzy timming

you sure when you put the dizzy in that its correctly over a plug wire.???????

watch this

im going by the tach on my timing light , i counted 42 links between the marks on the chain , the cam gear is set on number 3 to get the vee to line up to the mark on the head . compression is 160 in all cylinders

This is the same timing light that tells you the timing is 30 degrees? Maybe set for 8 cylinder and everything is double.

Thanks guys I figured it out !! I had the wires on the cap going clockwise for some reason and not counterclockwise .

That's funny, I tried the same thing and got my engine running like that once too. Only thing is... The book I was looking at said that was the correct firing order! I like to never figured it out :no: It was when I first started working on / building the race wagon. :rofl: :rofl: