l18 engine stalling

realdiehl

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

GOOD SHOT.

be honest I would try another fuel pump.thats looks weak to me. ck for the spacer

however I would think thats enough gas to keep the float bowl full at idle. and when the fuel float is down the needle valve should let gas in.

let other see the vid and give a call on that.

since I have a spare fuel pump I would swap that in

ck closely on the input side of pump itd clamped tight and not sucking in air or line is cracked

Here is fuel pump spec for a L-16 from the factory service manual.

Fuel pump pressure should be 2.56 to 3.41 PSI

Running at 1000 RPM, the fuel pump should pump 1000 CC in less than a minute.

I know that much fuel could make a big block V-8 engine run slobbering rich, but that is what the factory service manual has for fuel pump output capacity.

I put it back together and tried to run it again and this time as soon as it stalled i pulled the fuel line and cranked the motor again and no fuel came out for the entire 8 seconds i cranked the engine. I let it sit for 5 minutes and it started flowing againbut the same as before with a fairly week stream. So my thinking is that its the fuel pump but why does it pump a little bit then quite. By the way i do have the spacer behind the fuel pump and i have a new fuel filter on it

I assume you have gas in the tank.

maybe just for shits and grins loosen thae gas cap and retry and see how much it shoots out.

I dont know how much time it takes to suck gas from the tank up to the engine compartment.

Most times there enough gas in the flot bowl to run the motor till gas gets sucked in.

I know if I dont drive my 521 for a few days it can take awhile to suck gas up and run.

Im VOTING a new pump right now.

Maybe as a quick test, when the car dies, run back and twist open the fuel cap...........could be a venting prob that slowly goes back to normal in a few minutes and you get to pumping again.

OR you could just pull the cap and run it, see if it dies same or solves it??

--Ray

Ok a little update to my progress. I blew out the fuel line from the fuel filter back to the gas tank and again the car was still stalling. I then purchased a new fuel pump thinking that that was for sure the issue after all the previous steps and yet again it was still stalling. Removed the gas cap and it was still stalling. So then took tried datsunmike suggestion and ran the fuel from a gas can and sure enough it fired up and i let it run for a good five minutes and it ran great other than now i noticed i have some coolant and oil leaking out of the front of where the head and timing cover attach. Now my question is how do i fix the problem of my fuel tank blockage. I just had the fuel tank proffesionally vatted out at a radiator shop and all new hoses hooked into the factory fuel line