New 521 owner!

an_orange_s2k

Just purchased my 521 exactly a week ago and love driving it. Wanted to drop a quick line here and see if anyone else is in or around the bay area. I started a thread in the Project Datto section (http://community.rat...orange-s2k-521/) and will be updating that as much as I can. Hopefully I will be able to meet a few folks from here soon.

'71 Datsun 521

IMG_1942.jpg

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you can get soem rubbing compound/polish and rub alot of that dark stuff out.

That "dark stuff" is the San Francisco air. The City is one of the dirtiest cities on the Best Coast, even L.A. with all its smog doesn't drop dirt like SF. So unless you plan to pay a shit ton to garage that sweet Lil' Hustler you are better off letting thedirt collect.

I live an hour north of you and daily drive the exact same truck, my greatest recommendation is to go to PickandPull and find a matchbox dizzy. After that as long as the carb is running ok the only thing to really do is enjoy it. I gotta sy though if you are doing a lot of City driving you are gonna hate adjusting the drum brakes all the time, so you might want to do the disc swap but that's a lot of cash and time.

Welcome

whut up. nice find! i'm also in the northbay. about 45 min. Cool to see another 521 around these parts.matchbox dizzy is a great upgrade. i've got one on my truck and it's always on point. the brakes would be another good upgrade. but if you have a jack and a place to work on it it's not that hard to adjust them. i'm still rockin' the drums. I would keep an extra clutch slave, front and rear wheel cylinders and brake and clutch masters on hand. cause unless they were replaced in the last year they will go bad when you least expect it.

welcome aboard

Thanks for the warm welcome guys. Luckily for me I don't go around hills too often, most of my time is spent in the Sunset which has a slight incline but not bad at all. I've already ordered a set of brake brackets from Beenabi :thumbup: I don't mind the drums especially since it wouldnt have hurt my wallet as much but I'm just not a huge fan of them. I need to research a bit on the matchbox dizzy since this is the first time I've heard about it.

the matchbox is super simple, just be sure you get the pedestal with it and take the electrical connector from the donor car too. I had an original points dizzy with a stripped screw that would just die in traffic. I finally got fed up and wandered into the Windsor picak and pull and the second 720 I popped the hood on had one. $35 later I had the thing in my truck and it runs tits.