Webber questions

Gensaiken

Hey, I have a webber on my truck and I have never really dealt with a webber before. Hopefully my questions can be answered.

I have circled this section in a picture of another truck I found. Is plugging up that one side alright? I wasn't sure if each side went to diffrent chambers or anything...

dfghxfgnfs008.jpg

Also, does anyone have some pictures of how they hooked up that valve that comes off the air cleaner and connects to that tube that comes off the block.. the one that was on the webber doesn't seem to fit.. can't just grab any hose because i've seen it get sucked closed on other carbs.

Thanks.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

from what i've seen the inlet side is just chosen depening on the orig aplication. the side that doesn't have the inlet is either plugged or was never drilled out to begin with. either side that it would go into, the gas will end up in the float bowl.

not sure what hose your talking about. so i'm no help there

The hose from the valve cover vent DOES NOT connect to the engine block.The valve cover vent goes to a fitting on the bottom plate of the air cleaner.The vent from the engine block goes to a check valve on the intake manifold.

from what i've seen the inlet side is just chosen depening on the orig aplication. the side that doesn't have the inlet is either plugged or was never drilled out to begin with. either side that it would go into, the gas will end up in the float bowl.

not sure what hose your talking about. so i'm no help there

Thanks a lot. I guess i'll just have to plug the other side.

The hose from the valve cover vent DOES NOT connect to the engine block.The valve cover vent goes to a fitting on the bottom plate of the air cleaner.The vent from the engine block goes to a check valve on the intake manifold.

thats what I was saying. The vent from the engine block connects to the intake manafold but on the webber it seems to connect at the top of the air cleaner instead of the manafold. Guess the way I described it didn't sound like it.

I just want to see how people have done it using webbers.

Nothing from the weber will plumb to the block.The one from the valve cover does and the one from the block goes to the intake manifold only.

The block is the bottom section,then the head and the valve cover on top.

The weber does not change anything compared to the stock carb.

valve cover=air filter housing.

engine block=manifold.

Nothing from the weber will plumb to the block.The one from the valve cover does and the one from the block goes to the intake manifold only.

The block is the bottom section,then the head and the valve cover on top.

The weber does not change anything compared to the stock carb.

valve cover=air filter housing.

engine block=manifold.

Hmm, weird, I'll take another look then. Makes me wish I was installing SU's on this thing.. :rolleyes:

Btw, on a side note, what is the vent on the top of the valve cover for anyways? I always see just a tiny filter put on it..

Same as the block I believe.Pressure ventilation.Goes to the carb mostly for emissions purposes,hence the filters instead.You can leave it empty and it will still run fine.I believe Hainz said that with his sidedrafts he does not have the block hooked up either.

Same as the block I believe.Pressure ventilation.Goes to the carb mostly for emissions purposes,hence the filters instead.You can leave it empty and it will still run fine.I believe Hainz said that with his sidedrafts he does not have the block hooked up either.

The factory hose that goes from the manafold to the block is EXPENSIVE, same with that L shaped hose that routes the coolant to the intake manafold. Spendy factory bent hoses...

Ok, well I won't worry about that top vent then. I'll likely still hook up the manafold one to the block... it looks weird with out it.

Thanks for your help.

The pipe with the rubber hose on it coming from the driver's side of the block is the crank case vent. The rubber hose should be connected to the PCV valve mounted on the intake, generally just below and behind the carb base. The PCV valve is a metered orifice that has a one way valve in it and applies a small amount of vacuum to draw water vapor and unburnt gas fumes and combustion by-products from inside the engine. The the valve cover opening is connected to the filtered air side if the air filter and allows fresh air into the crank case to replace the fumes drawn out by the PCV valve. Without a properly working PCV system, fumes and water vapor will condense inside the block and mix the oil shortening it's change interval and gumming up internal parts.

The one way valve? It's to prevent a carburetor back fire from traveling back down the hose and igniting any fumes in the crank case. PCV valves have been in use since the early 60s. I once saw an early 60s Chevy six that had flooded and stalled. Perhaps it didn't have the one way valve and there was a crank case explosion that blew the valve cover right off and bent the oil pan. What a mess.

Well thanks for all your help, Definately solved all my problems.

Although I have a new one... The gas pedal I had was all ghetto rigged and I was replacing it with a early 620 unit that is very similar. Well the 620 it came off did not have a webber so when I went to attach the cable end to the webber I noticed the webber connection is diffrent than the stock attachment.

How have all of you done this on your webbers? The throttle attachment on my webber appears to be a semi circle with a lot of diffrent holes in it. Does this sound like what you all have?

Can you attach the stock pickup carb throttle attachment to the webber?

How have all of you done this on your webbers? The throttle attachment on my webber appears to be a semi circle with a lot of diffrent holes in it. Does this sound like what you all have?

Can you attach the stock pickup carb throttle attachment to the webber?

Yes, that is how mine is. If i remember correctly i had to file the hole a little on the stock piece.

Do not over tighten the nut that holds it on, this causes binding in the throttle shaft. I went to the hardware store and found a Nyloc nut to install here so it would not loosen up. I didnt trust the little bend-tab washer that weber sends.

Jason

Yes, that is how mine is. If i remember correctly i had to file the hole a little on the stock piece.

Do not over tighten the nut that holds it on, this causes binding in the throttle shaft. I went to the hardware store and found a Nyloc nut to install here so it would not loosen up. I didnt trust the little bend-tab washer that weber sends.

Jason

Awsome, I'm glad it is that simple. I was getting pretty worried that it would become a lot more complicated.

I'll have to grab that piece off a stock truck carb in the wrecking yard. Hopefully It'll fit ok.

Jason

Went and grabbed the piece today off that stock carb and it fit perfectly! Thanks a lot.