Need help adjusting rear drums

cjzeppy

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You don't say, but your profile does say you have a 510. On the back of the aptly named backing plate at the bottom, is a square peg sticking out. This is the adjuster. Turn it out and the shoes should move in closer to each other. Have a care, they are easy to round off if you use vice grips. Might be a good idea to take apart and clean and grease the threads.

You don't say, but your profile does say you have a 510. On the back of the aptly named backing plate at the bottom, is a square peg sticking out. This is the adjuster. Turn it out and the shoes should move in closer to each other. Have a care, they are easy to round off if you use vice grips. Might be a good idea to take apart and clean and grease the threads.

This part?

IMG_0158.jpg

To adjust I recommend getting a quarter inch hex key, getting a quarter inch socket with a square quarter inch drive. Put the socket "upside down" on the key and use the resulting quarter inch square adapted driver to adjust your rear brakes. This has worked for me for the last 44 years on my RL411 rear brakes! Think, don't just reach for the vicegrips, you will be sorry!

To adjust I recommend getting a quarter inch hex key, getting a quarter inch socket with a square quarter inch drive. Put the socket "upside down" on the key and use the resulting quarter inch square adapted driver to adjust your rear brakes. This has worked for me for the last 44 years on my RL411 rear brakes! Think, don't just reach for the vicegrips, you will be sorry!

I will look into this. I don't plan on keeping these drum brakes forever, as I'm getting discs for the rear from a friend. Just can't afford the $100 brackets right now, so working drums will do!

I will look into this. I don't plan on keeping these drum brakes forever, as I'm getting discs for the rear from a friend. Just can't afford the $100 brackets right now, so working drums will do!

Since the front brakes do most of the stopping effort what do you honestly think your improvement will be? Do you know how many sets of rear drum brake shoes you can buy for $100 ?

Since the front brakes do most of the stopping effort what do you honestly think your improvement will be? Do you know how many sets of rear drum brake shoes you can buy for $100 ?

When I plan to convert the rear brakes to disc, I'm planning on swapping in a more powerful engine. It won't happen for a while or at all, so don't sweat it. I just want working brakes at the moment.

Besides looking great, rear disc brakes are simpler with less parts and easier to change the pads than drum brake shoes. Best of all, you never ever have to adjust them and that's almost equal to the great looks. For stopping they are about the same (if the drums are adjusted properly) with the disc able to handle much more heat without fade than the drum, but in all honesty, no one is going to drive hard enough to do that.