521 blinkers, rear end lights????

uberkevin

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is your battery and alternator good??????????????

You do voltage cks on this???????

oif it loading down the blinkers will be slow or not work.

however since the rear lights dont work. that might be related not that much of a 521 expert on the lights in back.

This was happening quite a bit when we were having charging issues with the alternator. My blinkers either didn't work at all, or would blink once every two or three seconds when I had the headlights on, and was on the brakes. Once we got the alt issue fixed, the blinkers work really well with all of the lights on and braking.
  • 2 weeks later...

Are you sure it is the brake light part of the dual filament bulb coming on with the headlights, and not the tail light part of the bulb?

On most vehicles, the brake lights are the turn signals on the rear. So, on most cars you have to go through turn signal wiring, and possibly four way flasher wiring to get the brake light to work.

The brake lights on a Datsun 521 are really simple compared to most other vehicles. The brake lights are only brake lights. From the fuse box, power is always applied to a brake light switch. This switch is either a pressure switch in the engine compartment, or a switch held off by the brake pedal, under the dashboard. From there, power goes to the brake lights. That is it.

Funny electrical problems are almost always bad grounds. On a Datsun 521, the taillight assembly is grounded to the bed of the truck. The bed is in turn grounded to the frame of the truck. The frame is then grounded to the engine block, and that connects to the battery negative post.

The following is general information. it applies to the whole electrical system of your truck

If any of the grounds go bad, a circuit will sometimes ground through other stuff. Sometimes it is other lights, or other things.

If you lose a good ground between the engine and the frame, or the cab, it is very common for the electricity to go through the throttle and the choke cable to get to ground. This can destroy the throttle cable, because the inner wire gets hot, and the outside plastic casing then melts.

The headlights on a 521 have a dedicated ground. This is a black wire from each headlight that "Y"s together, and ends up in a ring terminal that is on one of the voltage regulator bolts. There is also a second black wire that goes to the alternator frame. There is a third short black wire that goes from the alternator frame to the negative battery cable engine end, where the big lug goes to the head. there is a lifting ring here, just behind the fuel pump.

both filaments are lighting. so the problem is that pushing my brakes doesn't turn my brake

lights on. it's like my brakes are being pushed.

I bleed my brakes yesterday day and turned that little star wheel to lock my tire and

went up 12 notches "like two of my books said" to loosen it back up to stock.

But now that ive done that when I turn my right front tire makes this kinda clicking sound.

Any ideas?