starter not engaging with flywheel "help"

mytoy521

I like the idea, but aren't these similar to the Kryptonite locks you can open with a Bic pen? The ones that Kryponite spent a whole lot of money to send out free replacements for? I know those were Ace brand tubular locks, but these don't seem any different. Does anyone know if they are?

Andrew

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

woops, morning ratsun bros. i have an issue, its a 71 pl521. my son and i pulled out the tired 1600 a few days ago.ThE 1600 was running great with the 5 speed in it, but we bought a Z22 we already had a U67 head for it with a set of SU'S. So we made it pretty and put it together nothING special,(SOIRRY ABOUT THE CAPS SOMTHINGS FISHY WITH MY TABLET/ ITS NOT CAP LOCK KEY) WELL ITS ALL ABOUT QUALITY TIME WITH MY BOY. IPUT IN THE FLYWHEEL FROM A L20 AND A Z CLUTCH KIT. WE BOLTED EVERYTHING TOGHETHER PUT IT IN TRIED TO START IT BUT THE STARTER SOUNDED WEIRD A HORRIBLE GRINDING SOUND SO WE PULLED THE STARTER OUT AND PUT IN ANOTHER ONE THAT WAS MYBACK UPSTARTER. AND STILL THE SAME PROBLEMO. MYQUETION IS THAT SINCE I PUT IN A Z22 DO I NEED A DIFFRENT STARTER WITH A DEEPER STRIKER GEAR LOOKING THING THAT ENGAGES WITH THE FLYWHEEL? WHEN I PULLED OUT THE STARTER IT LOOKS LIKE ONLY A 1/4 OF THE FLYWHEEL AND STARTER ARE ENGAGING THE MOTOR KINDATURNS BUT

NOT REALLY. PLEAS SHOOT ME YOUR ADVICE THANK YOU ALL, HAVE A GREATDAY( SORRY FOR THE CARS IM NOT YIELLING) GRACIAS

Mr.King Rat & Mr.Hains thanks for your response. The Z motor came out of a 84sh 720 manual truck. Do you guys think iput on the wrong flywheel? At the time of mating the tranny and Z motor there were no fitting isues at all. The clutch kit was compete i did have to take of the collar from the old T/O to new one. thanks again for for your response. Hope to hear from you again.

I doubt if that will fix it.

What I would do is turn the crankshaft away from TDC and then see if the starter works without grinding. It's not uncommon to have a bad spot on a flywheel which causes grinding noise. If it works fine after turning, the flywheel/ring-gear is bad.

The reason for the automatic question is that there is a spacer on the end of the crankshafts if running an automatic. I doubt that a flywheel will fit properly if the spacer is left on but if it was done it would space the flywheel away from the starter, maybe 1/8" or so.

Other than the weight and the bolt pattern for the different diameter pressure plates the L and Z series flywheels are the same.

Do you remember dropping the flywheel prior to installing it???

The reason for the automatic question is that there is a spacer on the end of the crankshafts if running an automatic. I doubt that a flywheel will fit properly if the spacer is left on but if it was done it would space the flywheel away from the starter, maybe 1/8" or so.

Other than the weight and the bolt pattern for the different diameter pressure plates the L and Z series flywheels are the same.

Do you remember dropping the flywheel prior to installing it???

Thanks again Mr.Mike for your response,I dont remember dropping or beating the flywheel.Im thinking about dropping the tranny again and comparing it to a another L20 flywheel. Do you think that Z noted above will work?

The heated ring is slipped over a frozen flywheel. The ring shrinks as it cools and the wheel expands as it warms to hold it on. If dropped, the wheel actually deforms into an oval shape and quivers like jelly. The ring can slip from position and even fly off.

Don't "try" things. Find out what is wrong, then fix it.

I would look inside the starter opening and see if you can spot the problem. Or drop the transmission and inspect the ring gear. Compare it. There are TWO automatic spacers. One sometimes sticks on the end of the crankshaft and guys don't realize it.

Mr.ggzilla i will take your advice and do all the cheking starter and all. I have onemore starter to mock up andsee what happens. Otherwise i will be dropping the tranny and putting in the original flywheel that came with the Z22. I do recall taking off one spacer but not the second one . Great pointer thanks againfor you time and patience.