swap ? keep? L20?? KA? 4AGE?

mcmlxxxv

since I bought my 510 im searching for info on the mechanic im going to drop in ...

I currently have a L20 with some flat-top pistons ,w58 head fully ported and a regrinded camshaft with SU's ...

I searched for popular swaps over the internet , sr20 seem popular KA too , but the sway bar issue with the KA is turning me off a bit :( , I used to have a AE86 before and loved the feeling of the 4AGE , I was thinking of droping one in my 510....shame ??

anyway should I keep the L20 ? I never saw this engine running because it need to be rebuild ... should I do it ? or swap ?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah it's a 4cyl , im planning to use the car as a summer daily drive and week end racer ...

how much power can I get from the l20 ? I saw some dyno on youtube pulling around 200hp ... but I know those engine are probably Highly modified :(

what is the average for a mildly modded L20 ?

because the 160hp of the 4age is tempting me lol

I can get the car running with any engine...

I need to rebuild the L20 if I decide to keep it ... so im looking for other options since it will be a lot of work too ...

I was thinking of a blacktop 4age wich is 157hp stock (should have specified sorry)

I can get the car running with any engine...

But to get it running after you've pieced in a new EFI harness and whatever else is the opposite of efficiency.

Find a running L16/L18 on the cheap then get the thing rolling.

So much easier to diagnose your common Datsun/Nissan bad ground issues, or other problems, with an original-ish motor in it.

You want to avoid sway bar issues, so you steer away from KA/SR,

But, no matter what you put in it you will have to modify something.

KA/SR swaps in to Dimes are well documented for a reason.

you are right I know almost noting about datsun engine , I used to work on toyota before ...

this is why I ask , I dont really know how much it would cost to rebuild my engine .. but I now a 4age is worth 600$

I dont mind modding some part of the car , but I would really like to keep the front subframe and swaybar as is (if possible ..)

might give a shot for the L20B

And since you keep saying L20 I think you know very little about Datsun engines.

flatcat19 thx to clarify

Stock crossmemeber, Modded oil pan & pickup. Stock/standard aftermarket swaybar. = My preferance. I would stick with the L20b untill I collected/modded all the parts for the KA/SR/Toyowhatever swap. Learn the car and beat the L series to death (NOT EASY) while you prep for a swap.

• Like 1

Bwahahahaha.

L20/L20A-earliest L motor. 6 cylinder.

(Most will never see one, ever.)

L20B-4 cylinder.

I know of a friend with one :) I guess I'm a rare breed?

It makes almost no sense to swap an L20B for another motor in your situation IMO. What you'll spend on building on swapping it will easily blow your 'fun' budget. Not to mention, kill the time you could be spending behind the wheel. L20B is sooooo right...

Rebuild it. Nice mild cam, closed chamber head, side drafts, and you're DONE. Well... maybe a header and all, but you get it right?

EDIT: Don't forget that car weights about as a few McDonalds Cheeseburgers. 160HP pulls like hell.

good I'll check for a rebuild kit tomorrow at work , shouldn't be so pricey :)

That car needs is a good set of wheels and WIDE tires. Slap a Ratsun sticker on it and call it good.

lol I bought the enkei 92 from coolrow an im waiting for a bit more progress before I order the sticker ahah

I (obviously) wont make a show car out of it but I want it to be a nice ride :)

I know of a friend with one :) I guess I'm a rare breed?

It makes almost no sense to swap an L20B for another motor in your situation IMO. What you'll spend on building on swapping it will easily blow your 'fun' budget. Not to mention, kill the time you could be spending behind the wheel. L20B is sooooo right...

Rebuild it. Nice mild cam, closed chamber head, side drafts, and you're DONE. Well... maybe a header and all, but you get it right?

EDIT: Don't forget that car weights about as a few McDonalds Cheeseburgers. 160HP pulls like hell.

I'll give a try to that engine ;)

The L20 is the earliest of the L-series engines, is a six-cylinder, and while some of the cylinder head parts interchange, it is a completely different engine block.

The L20A is the much more common L-6 that came in the home market Z-cars, and was turboed into the L20ET for the turbo model Z, the sedans, and a few other things.

The L20B is the big L-4 sent to the states and Oz for the cars; I am not sure what other markets got the L20B. It has a 19mm taller deck, and two pairs of top timing cover bolts, a trait it shares with only one other L-series engine that I can recall.

/end rant mode