Does it make a difference?

DatMo

I've never done one but maybe one of the guys on here that has will chime in. off the top of my head i would say $500 if you find a tranny that you don't have to rebuild. but again that's just a guess.

check out this thread. yenpit did a 5 spd swap on a budget.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/40424-yenpits-1970-510-4-door-beater/

he's really helpful too if you have questiions.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never done one but maybe one of the guys on here that has will chime in. off the top of my head i would say $500 if you find a tranny that you don't have to rebuild. but again that's just a guess.

check out this thread. yenpit did a 5 spd swap on a budget.

http://community.rat...-4-door-beater/

he's really helpful too if you have questiions.

I thank you alot. I think maybe for a second project but for now, I'd rather just stick to trying to find a 4spd already. Another thing. When the car is in gear, does it still move like it's in neutral?

Auto to manual swap is pretty cheap and easy. Parts are almost everywhere with only having to source a pedal assembly being the hard part. If you're worried about body work, distance, and price... I wouldn't throw out an auto. If the auto is most of what you want then I would snap it up in a heartbeat. Rock the auto for awhile, learn how to work on them, get used to it, then get into the 4spd/5spd swap.

You're severely limiting yourself by saying close to home, no rust, running, no issues, no auto, not expensive. For as easy of a job a manual swap is I would just get an auto. And for the record, I have an auto and rock it everyday with no issue.

Auto to manual swap is pretty cheap and easy. Parts are almost everywhere with only having to source a pedal assembly being the hard part. If you're worried about body work, distance, and price... I wouldn't throw out an auto. If the auto is most of what you want then I would snap it up in a heartbeat. Rock the auto for awhile, learn how to work on them, get used to it, then get into the 4spd/5spd swap.

You're severely limiting yourself by saying close to home, no rust, running, no issues, no auto, not expensive. For as easy of a job a manual swap is I would just get an auto. And for the record, I have an auto and rock it everyday with no issue.

Ok thanks for the help. I also understand that there is going to be problems such as rust and such and I can't go too far from home. I literally don't have a way of going to see the car and such. I expect a lot of problems for a 40 year old car but just enough to fix. I've heard and seen plenty of 510's from 69 to 72 going for my price range with minor problems as rust and such. Well what I've been looking for more so. I'd rather get my first 510 as a 4spd/5spd. Thank you for the help though. Very appreciated.

If you can't swap seats, you ain't gonna swap transmissions, that's for sure. It is not an easy job to me, and I've been a mechanic for 30 years. I would consider it a moderate difficulty because of the hassle of getting all the right pieces and the amount of parts that need swapped.

• Like 1

I'm not saying its impossible to find what you're looking for, just that it's going to be give and take. Either way, good luck and hopefully you find something you're happy with.

Yeah, I've come to the conclusion that I'll work with what I can get but at the least, I could try and come close to my desires.

If you can't swap seats, you ain't gonna swap transmissions, that's for sure. It is not an easy job to me, and I've been a mechanic for 30 years. I would consider it a moderate difficulty because of the hassle of getting all the right pieces and the amount of parts that need swapped.

Well I think in the future, I'll try getting an auto into a 4sp/5spd but for my first car, I'll stick with just starting off 4spd.

patience is key. just consider yourself lucky that you are out in cali, im stranded up here in michigan but after searching for 5 months I finally bought mine last friday and i may have paid 3500 but thats the price you pay for a dream car. Mine may have rust, but the guy i bought it from was already working on it and he finished it up. the way I look at it is that i bought a $2500 datsun 510 with a $1000 worth of work on it. sometimes you need to a pay a little extra to get what you want. surface rust is nothing... just bust it out and weld in some new patches. hopefully you find one out there. plus it allows you to learn about the car while you fix it up

patience is key. just consider yourself lucky that you are out in cali, im stranded up here in michigan but after searching for 5 months I finally bought mine last friday and i may have paid 3500 but thats the price you pay for a dream car. Mine may have rust, but the guy i bought it from was already working on it and he finished it up. the way I look at it is that i bought a $2500 datsun 510 with a $1000 worth of work on it. sometimes you need to a pay a little extra to get what you want. surface rust is nothing... just bust it out and weld in some new patches. hopefully you find one out there. plus it allows you to learn about the car while you fix it up

that's what ive concluded to. Working on the car will only bond me closer to the car which i would love. :)