Sound System (Stereo) Picture thread

tr8er

P1180328.jpg

P1180331.jpg

10" Sub. Custom box wrapping around the wheel well.

RubyStereo.jpg

EQ. Mainly to give me a separate Sub volume knob. But it is a great way to get an auxiliary input hard wired in. Black plex back plate for the Head unit and EQ

P1180319-1.jpg

Front speakers in the air vents and...

P1180354.jpg

Rear speakers in the doors. I hate this option, but I wasn't about the mess with the headliner. Sound imaging is quite good. Bass is sick. Had to pad the heater flap to stop it from rattling.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I really like what you did with the sub box :thumbup:.

I have been trying to think of a way to put a small sub in the back of my wagon without losing much cargo space and keeping it somewhat hidden. This pretty much does that. Thanks for sharing this man!

Same here. I have two 10 inch in separate enclosures. Always in the way. Thinking of mounting them to the back of the seat, then I can flip the forward out of way. Aaaa maybe not. Maybe I can just wire one sub across the amp. Maybe build it into the back seat?

P1180328.jpg

Hmmm this gives me an idea. Totally sound proof the cavity behind the cover and use it as part of the speaker enclosure. Build it outward flush with the wheel like yours, but with speaker facing into the cargo area. Armor it of course so it not get damaged.

Better yet make a speaker enclosure that fits back into this wasted space and sits out into the cargo area.. Then it can be lifted out if needed.

Hmmm this gives me an idea. Totally sound proof the cavity behind the cover and use it as part of the speaker enclosure. Build it outward flush with the wheel like yours, but with speaker facing into the cargo area. Armor it of course so it not get damaged.

Better yet make a speaker enclosure that fits back into this wasted space and sits out into the cargo area.. Then it can be lifted out if needed.

This box does go into the empty space, though not down. Soundproofing the empty space would not really give you the compression/resonance that you are looking for. Metal just doesn't give good sound. Stick with MDF, or similar in my opinion. I wish I took better pics of the box being build. Its got all complex mitres to get around the wheel well. Then it is bolted to the floor. Fun Stuff.

This box does go into the empty space, though not down. Soundproofing the empty space would not really give you the compression/resonance that you are looking for. Metal just doesn't give good sound. Stick with MDF, or similar in my opinion. I wish I took better pics of the box being build. Its got all complex mitres to get around the wheel well. Then it is bolted to the floor. Fun Stuff. I'd fab another for the right $.

Or just fiberglass the whole thing like I did in my accord ;)

Thank you for that sub idea! I had an idea of just making the sub removable, but that could get old. This keeps the cargo area very useable!

If you do this, mount your tiedowns lower. Mine create a very unstable fulcrum for tall cargo.

Matt, how does fiberglass perform? It looks great, but does it sound as nice as wood? I've worked with it plenty, on surfboards, but never with speakers.

I wouldn't say it's noticeably different sounding than using 3/4" mdf in a properly built enclosure, but you get the benefits of being able to follow contours and make any shape you want = smaller footprint for the volume & lighter overall. Of course more expensive in materials and time consuming. That enclosure was anywhere from 1/4-1/2" thick, but also considering all the curved surfaces it won't/can't resonate like flat sheets of mdf.