I need an 810 wagon gas tank...

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What year..?

I know they're still out there. I know someone that bought one and adapted it to fit a 210.

79. If i have to make one I'll make one, but man I love my cargo space.

Pressure release broke. Unscrewed the gas cap the other day and got sprayed with gross brown gas with kind of a lot crap in it...I'm no expert, but I'm going to say that's bad.

I might as well ask about this too, while I'm here:

When I'm pumping gas, i'll be pumping for maybe a few seconds before the tank acts like it's full and the lever on the pump pops. Squeeze lever, pump some more gas and it does it again. Sometimes it overflows all over my damn shoes. I can get it to pump smoothly when I hold the nozzle half way out of the filler hole and only squeeze the level about half way.

It's like the air in the tank isn't escaping and being replaced by the gas and I have to wait for the gas to drain into the tank so the air has a place to get out. I guess an example of how it feel is if you had a bottle of water and you just turned it straight upside down and it goes glug, glug, glug.

Does that make sense? I know its sort of a vague problem, but maybe someone has had this sort of thing before. Hard to describe in text. Anyway, my nissan factory manual had jack for the hoses from the tank and I've never had to fix anything like this. I figure there must be some sort of bleed hose for the air in the fuel tank? But where does it go? So many damn hoses on these EFI cars haha.

I love cheap old cars but the "everything constantly breaking" thing is wearing sometimes haha.

sounds to me like your should probably pull the tank, empty and seal it then re install with fresh lines. If the tank isnt leaking and the gas gauge is reading properly your good man.

i could be wrong though

sounds to me like your should probably pull the tank, empty and seal it then re install with fresh lines. If the tank isnt leaking and the gas gauge is reading properly your good man.

i could be wrong though

How much do Datsuns usually have in reserve after they tell you empty?

Last time I came back from Raleigh, I was on empty for the last 50-60 miles...So i have no idea if the gas gauge reads correctly.

like z-train said, it sounds like a clogged line issue, but coating your tank will insure it lasts a very long time

just do pull a me and fill up the day before you plan on coating the tank :rofl:

OK. So is it the line that comes out of the filler neck or one out of the tank? haha. By FSM I'm assuming you mean fuel system manual. That wouldn't happen to be available online somewhere in a .pdf or something? When I had a Volvo, pretty much every factory manual had been scanned and uploaded online somewhere.

Pressure release broke. Unscrewed the gas cap the other day and got sprayed with gross brown gas with kind of a lot crap in it...I'm no expert, but I'm going to say that's bad.

The tank shouldn't pressurize. Some gas caps have a one way valve to let air in only to replace the fuel removed. All excess fumes are drawn into the vapor/liquid separator tank located in the right rear wheel well. Overflow fumes pass through a check valve and then to the carbon canister by the radiator for collection and burned on start up. Maybe this hard line or a hose from it is crushed? Mayve the check valve is stuck.

I did the little redneck test where you suck on the end of the gas cap.

Could the carbon canister be clogged? This is going to be a bitch. haha.

Any idea on if the idle issue is related? Something to do with the fuel pressure maybe? I guess I should go into more detail.

I'm having two issues. First is after I've been driving for a while. It was the worst when it really hot a few weeks ago. I drive somewhere, park, do whatever I'm doing. Start the car, idle jumps between about a grand and regular idle speed (which looks like about 650). It'll bounce back and forth and usually stalls out. If I start it and it does that, I usually give it some gas until about 2000 rpm and hold it there for a second and the car will idle normally.

Second issue started today. I'll start the car. It'll start up and idle at 1000 rpm and then slowly fall to zero and die out.

Sorry to be bombarding this with problems. I have fixed a lot of thing on cars but don't really have the experience diagnosing problems that comes with years wrenching.

The tank shouldn't pressurize. Some gas caps have a one way valve to let air in only to replace the fuel removed. All excess fumes are drawn into the vapor/liquid separator tank located in the right rear wheel well. Overflow fumes pass through a check valve and then to the carbon canister by the radiator for collection and burned on start up. Maybe this hard line or a hose from it is crushed? Mayve the check valve is stuck.