Hi All!

Hi everyone I'm Pete I live in Australia and have a 1978 Datsun 620 ute RHD 4 Speed Column shift. Which I'm going to start using as an everyday run around car. This is the only picture i have at the moment.

dsc01174yc0.jpg

I'm sick of putting miles on my good car which is a 2006 Ford XR8 here's a pic for those unaware of what it is. 350hp 5.4L Boss V8 Stock similar to a stang.

dsc00907fq7.jpg

So anyways I've been reading on here and noticed people saying how their 620's go quite good with just a better carby. I thought this was strange since mine is extremely slow and would take much more than a carby to get it moving quicker.

So I decided to take a look at the engine plate and to my surprise I have a J15 which only makes 77HP:( Its soo painful driving something with 77HP after driving a car with 350HP.

Could anyone tell me would an L16 head fit onto the J15 or would I be better off just going with an L16 motor? I'm not after huge power or anything just something that is a bit more driveable.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Another Aussie! Welcome!

Saddly I can't answer you head question. I've never read about someone combining L stuff with J stuff.

But I look forward to seing more of your truck!

Hi everyone I'm Pete I live in Australia and have a 1978 Datsun 620 ute RHD 4 Speed Column shift. Which I'm going to start using as an everyday run around car. This is the only picture i have at the moment.

dsc01174yc0.jpg

I'm sick of putting miles on my good car which is a 2006 Ford XR8 here's a pic for those unaware of what it is. 350hp 5.4L Boss V8 Stock similar to a stang.

dsc00907fq7.jpg

So anyways I've been reading on here and noticed people saying how their 620's go quite good with just a better carby. I thought this was strange since mine is extremely slow and would take much more than a carby to get it moving quicker.

So I decided to take a look at the engine plate and to my surprise I have a J15 which only makes 77HP:( Its soo painful driving something with 77HP after driving a car with 350HP.

Could anyone tell me would an L16 head fit onto the J15 or would I be better off just going with an L16 motor? I'm not after huge power or anything just something that is a bit more driveable.

No, the L series is different from the J series. One is OHC and the other is over head valve. Getting an L into it would require totally different motor mounts and position. As for putting an L engine in, it could be done, just not a drop in job. If you do decide to do this at least put an L20B in. They are around 100 hp.

Nice ford BTW. Four spd column shift on 620???... you aussies get the neatest stuff down there! Wing windows too!!

I've never seen that kind of Ford before. Looks nice. oh, and the 620 looks good too. I like that colour.

Yeah Its an Aussie built Ford maybe it will get shipped to America one day like the Holdens being released as the Pontiac G8.

As for the colour I like it too but its a bit old so I'll be respraying shortly in the same colour. I'll also take the front homemade steel bumper off and the extremely heavy steel tray. I'm trying to find a standard tray but they're quite scarce these days so I might make something out of aluminium.

No, the L series is different from the J series. One is OHC and the other is over head valve. Getting an L into it would require totally different motor mounts and position. As for putting an L engine in, it could be done, just not a drop in job. If you do decide to do this at least put an L20B in. They are around 100 hp.

Nice ford BTW. Four spd column shift on 620???... you aussies get the neatest stuff down there! Wing windows too!!

I was thinking of an L20B they pop up on ebay quite often for around $500 Aussie seen a few lately.

As for the 4 speed column shift at first I didn't really like it but then after driving for a while I found its actually quite good. You can move your hand between the wheel and shifter very quickly much quicker than a floor shift.

Also the wing windows are great I think they're one of the best inventions ever. Unfortunately mine isnt a king cab.

I will upload pics as I go. I've just purchased a new grill off ebay with the protruding headlight surrounds with the chrome around the rim.

'77 or '78 was the change to the 'other' grill. One of the first things I did on my '78 was get the older style grill on it. If you do get and go with the L20B you will need a matching L series tranny.

'77 or '78 was the change to the 'other' grill. One of the first things I did on my '78 was get the older style grill on it. If you do get and go with the L20B you will need a matching L series tranny.

Yeah the older grill is soo much better I picked up a brand new old stock one today on ebay for $40 i gotta pick it up this weekend so that will be sweet.

I thought as much about the tranny but I was thinking of doing a floor conversion anyways as I want normal seats not a bench.