Question about reinstalling motor in to 521

Gensaiken

I have been having some issues trying to reinstall a motor in to a 521. I got it with the motor out but the trans was in it when I got it. Is it normal to install the motor with the trans already in the truck?

The main issue i've been having is the hoist is hitting the lower suspension, i've been told to jack up the truck a bit but I have some over head clearance issues (kinda low roof).

So any tips would be great or pictures.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, push it out of the garage 1st. Trying to install the motor with the trans. already in the truck will frustrate the hell out of you but it's not impossible. Ive always installed L motors w/ the trans. connected & as 1 unit.

I figured i'd be frustrated if I tried one and then the other.

Only problem with pushing out of my covered space is that it would all be moved in to gravel. So if the truck is jack up to clear the hoist it can't move and the engine hoist won't move. :blink:

So, i'm working on a way to get this going.. was kind of hoping for a diffrent route..

Trying to get the input spline lined up while fighting the oil pan/crossbar interference isn't fun.

There's is one compromise- unbolt and slide the transmission back out of the way (but supported so it doesn't fall all the way out), bolt the engine in place, then slide the trans back in place.

That won't solve the hoist hitting the suspension though- you HAVE to have the truck high enough to get the hoist legs under it. How low is this roof?

What I did when faced with the dilemma of installing an engine on a non-paved surface was I threw a couple sheets of plywood under the car for the hoist to roll on.

Do you have a 521 oil pan installed?It has to be for a 521.Regardless,you could remove the steering bar for more clearance.

Is the truck so low that the hoist lower bars hit stuff?Kinda confused.I have disconnected the tranny before too.

Do you have a 521 oil pan installed?It has to be for a 521.Regardless,you could remove the steering bar for more clearance.

Is the truck so low that the hoist lower bars hit stuff?Kinda confused.I have disconnected the tranny before too.

Everything is installed and the truck is actually at stock ride height but there are two little pieces for the front suspension that stick down lower than the rest. Its just two little pieces, they look like t/c rods.

If they werent' there, I would have no problem. :mellow:

Everything is installed and the truck is actually at stock ride height but there are two little pieces for the front suspension that stick down lower than the rest. Its just two little pieces, they look like t/c rods.

If they werent' there, I would have no problem. :mellow:

:confused::confused::confused: If its all installed then there should be no problem, right?

Of course I am lost....please hint me in.

Gensaiken, I have had this problem also with the hoist legs hitting the T.C. rod mounts on the lower control arms. I have also Never installed a Datsun motor with the trans attached. Seems like a real pain to install that way. I have always taken them out separate.

For your hoist interference problem, Could you get away with putting a peice of wood under the front tires? Like a 2x6? Or maybe even a small peice of plywood? That was all the clearance that i needed when i had this problem.

Jason

Gensaiken, I have had this problem also with the hoist legs hitting the T.C. rod mounts on the lower control arms. I have also Never installed a Datsun motor with the trans attached. Seems like a real pain to install that way. I have always taken them out separate.

For your hoist interference problem, Could you get away with putting a peice of wood under the front tires? Like a 2x6? Or maybe even a small peice of plywood? That was all the clearance that i needed when i had this problem.

Jason

Yeah, I think I'm going to move the whole project across the yard to a slab of cement. I didn't want to move it there before because the property is right near a highway. I'd perfer to return to find a truck and my stuff. :lol:

So I think if I can get it together and get it done with out much trouble I can do it over on this slab with no roof. :D

OK, now I understand. I actually used 4 jack stands and raised the truck up about a 1'. This also allowed me not to have to bend over so much to install the motor.

I think i'm going to do that if I can get all the stuff across the gravel to the slab of cement. Those hoists don't like rolling on gravel much...