Datsun 720 Project

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I realized I haven't posted a picture of my engine bay... probably for a good reason since its not very clean yet

2qv59vp.jpg

:yawn: This doesn't look too good.... Don't really care need new rubber anyway

alhm5k.jpg

And if any of you have any idea's on tires. I was thinking 225/60 R15 Kumho Ecsta ASX tires, the rims are 15x8 not totally sure of the backspacing. The front tires are 205/70 R15 and rub on the floor pan

kum-1705013_w.jpg

And I think I'll do a 4 inch cowl and if I don't like it I could probably just sell it.

10yqikg.jpg

I think 2" would be cool, much more would be getting into the line of sight to the road, but I am a bit on the vertically challenged side. :rofl: Keep it up, the only thing to remember the z22 is not forgiving when it comes to heat! You will pop a head-gasket quick, so make sure you get your radiator checked and it flows real good. And a new water pump, hoses, and thermostat wouldn't hurt. BTW Autozone does a new OEM rad for like $150 so don't fall for the BS like Tacoma Radiator guys saying you have to have a custom $400+ one. I recommend Shwabe for the rubber due to I like the no headache warranty. I would also gut the interior at least one and address any rust now in the cab and replace the padding under the carpet. It would help with old smell. Also if you take the time to pull the dash, check the seals for the vents, wires, and bottom of the windshield. While your in there, open your heater core box, some rodent had about 2 cups of dog cookies and a nest in mine! good luck and have fun Bro! :thumbup:

• Like 1

205's on 8 inch rims are a bit to stretched.

Since this truck was a automatic it probably has a 3.7 axle instead of the 3.5? So smaller tires could affect the gas mileage without giving me any more power or acceleration.

I was just wondering how small I can go, 225/50's might work?

205's on 8 inch rims are a bit to stretched.

Since this truck was a automatic it probably has a 3.7 axle instead of the 3.5? So smaller tires could affect the gas mileage without giving me any more power or acceleration.

I was just wondering how small I can go, 225/50's might work?

Actually it should have a 4.11 rear end in it. There is a very easy way to check what the factory ratio was that was put in it and only takes about 10 seconds.

Pull hood release, lift hood and brace it (still have 5 seconds to go) go to the pass side and look on the inner fender below the hood hinge for the engine tag.

This one's an '82 engine tag for a 4x4 but the 2wd will be similar. This one's very faded and the printing is gone but at the bottom it will likely say TRANS/AXLE and just to the right FS5W71B or F4W71B (if standard) 3N71B if auto and to the right of that HF41... 41 means 4.11 ratio. The one in the picture is HF43 which is 4.375. HF39 would be 3.90 and so on.

720Large2.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So I was wondering... the rear end seems kinda draggy and I bet the brakes are bad.... but it only has 88,000 miles

I have a 720 4x4 axle which has 200,000 miles an unknown how good the brakes are, another 720 axle (but I think its in even worse shape and also has higher mileage), and then I have a Nissan Hardbody axle with 200,000 miles but it has good brakes and all as far as I know.

So do I rebuild the axle that is in it.. or use the Hardbody axle and just check the brakes?