wiring confuzlement

So I have a 72 510 I am restoring. And have the car complete up to the wiring....the worst part. Now a lot of the the wiring has been cast aside because I am using a wiring harness from wiring specialties to wire up my motor (sr20) and will be only needing headlights tailights and blinkers...and have looked at the wiring diagram provided on this site and traced all the wires I will be needing to use. that's all fine and dandy...except for a couple things. The headlight relay.. the stock one i had got destroyed by flooding and I am also running hid headlights. what would be a good replacement for this? also I am switching to new style fuzes. what size fuses should go to what things...lights and such. Any help would be sooo appreciated!!!

Thanks,

Ben

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm very much in the same boat, Just got my s13 SR black top running with a Wiring Specialties harness and I'm in the middle of getting the 510 running lights buttoned down right now. With your headlights there are two ways to go with the hid conversion. You will need to get a relay for the hids regardless, because they draw way more current than the stock wiring will handle. You can buy relay conversion kits that will either take the 12v headlight output to make it work, or one that uses a simple switch (such as your dash headlight switch) to make it work. If you want to stay stock for a while you can get a replacement for the stock relay at Rods Datsun Parts for sure.

For the fuses If you want I can give you a Pict of my fuse box and the amp numbers for each position. Just let me know.

P Dime

I ordered a kit from Hidsrus and it came with a relay and a battery wire with a fuse but not 100% on how to hook to hid ballasts. But as for the fuse box pic that would be tight. And every time I got to painless I can never find datsun or nissan specific harnesses.

This is where I would start.

Get the engine running, and charging the battery. Most basic issues, hooking up the key. What gauges and idiot light are you using? Get that all working.

The next step, get power off the engines electrical system to a fuse block.

Now make sure the headlights work. Bench test them. Mount the headlight switch, and the high low dimmer switch. Use the switches to control relays mounted close to the headlights, and the battery, and use heavy wire for the headlight load carrying wires. Do not forget the ground, also needs to be heavy wire, traceable all the way back to the battery negative.

If you use a stock type light switch, it will have provision for a second circuit for the smaller lights. Run power from the fuse box to the taillight connection on the light switch. Run wires from the switch to the smaller lights, park side marker, licence plate, others you want on with the park lights. Do not forget grounds on all the smaller lights.

Does the car have dedicated brake lights? That is, brake lights independent of the turn signals? If so, wire from the fuse block, to the brake light switch, to the brake lights, and again, do not forget the grounds.

Does your car have four way (emergency) flashers? If it does, the four way flasher ties into the turn signal switch, so the flashers override the turn signals.

Hook up the turn signals. If your car has combo brake and turn signals, you need separate circuits for front and rear, because the brake lights are overridden by a turn signal, and you do not want the front turn signals coming on with the brake lights.

Here is a good relay to use for headlights. You can get it from summitracing.com. Use two relays, one for high, one for low beams.

Relay.jpg

I chose this relay because it has two 87 terminals, handy for running two lights off one relay.

Do not ignore the grounds. If you do, the body of the car may try to ground to the engine through the throttle cable, or linkage, and that will cause problems.

That pretty much tells you how to do the lights. Hook up heater, and any other accessories in a similar manner.

The windshield motor may have a always hot wire going to it, so the windshield wipers can park themselves.