wtb 5 speed trans for 73 620 (in socal)

so the transmission i had in storage that was supposedly 5 speed is not (verified by the king rat.)

therefore, looking for a 5 speed transmission from a 620 or Z. thanks

previous titles:

wtb 73 620 parts: dogleg

wtb 73 620 disc brake conversion bracketS

title says it all. i need fronts and rears.and perhaps any applicable parts you wanna sellfor cheap. thanks boys.

sourced a set of front & rear brackets & instead of creating more WTB threads, ill just edit this onewtb dogleg transmission that i can drop directly into my 73 620.so im looking for something that isnt of 'unknown status.' hopefully someone has a trans that they can vouch for. thanks all

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

front and rear brackets sourced and bought. thank you to Beebani and str8_69.

to keep the forum less cluttered, im going to change thread title to reflect my other wtbs

wtb dogleg transmission that i can drop directly into my 73 620.

so im looking for something that isnt of 'unknown status.' hopefully someone has a trans that they can vouch for. thanks all

Well it could maybe easier to find a short 2wd 720 5 speed and swap an L series front case onto it. That will fit the 521 so, sure to fit the early 620. Much stronger and newer transmission.

^ ah i see. this guy i met who had 6 620s at one time told me it was the one 5 speed that would easily drop it.

cjack, i can understand shipping something heavy like that would be expenso. but humor me, give me an estimate.

The early 620 used a short 4 speed similar to the 510 so a short dogleg will fit with some reasonable mods. The only advantage is you don't have to shorten the driveshaft. A longer '74 or newer 4 speed or 5 speed uses a shorter driveshaft so if you can find one and the rear transmission mount from a 620 go that route.

It's easy in that you can use your existing driveshaft. It's just that the mount is in a different place. Fortunately the 620 came with mount locations for both long and short transmission mount pads even in '73 (the dogleg is in between as far as the mount location) so you just have to figure you where to mount and how to space it. The bad part about the dogleg is it's a LOT weaker, harder to find, and usually more expensive than the truck or 280Z/ZX 5-speeds that are quite a bit stronger. I have a dogleg in my '74, it's on its last legs due to my hauling a lot of heavy loads.

i have a 5 speed in storage that i was gonna use on my 280z when i had it... hmm my wheels are turning, i just have to find the right thread to know how to make it work because i am so very confused right now aha

If you have the transmission, you have the expensive part. Now, you need the front driveshaft (the short one) from any '74-79 620 and the '74-79 620-specific transmission mount. Getting the crossmember wouldn't be a bad idea too, because otherwise you might have to drill holes, with the later one it will be correct. You'll also need the speedometer cable, as yours will be short (but it would have been short on a dogleg too if I recall correctly). You will also want the floor plate (for the shifter) of the later truck, though modding what you have is possible. You should be able to get all of those at Ecology or whatever that massive U-pull junkyard chain down there is called nowadays.

• 3 months later...

i have a 5 speed in storage that i was gonna use on my 280z when i had it... hmm my wheels are turning, i just have to find the right thread to know how to make it work because i am so very confused right now aha

You said you had one?

• 4 weeks later...

As of this A.M.I just noticed there is a black 720 2WD (Datsun on tailgate) with 5 speed still intact in the Oceanside (north San Diego County) Ecology wrecking yard. It has already been there for 3-4 weeks. Could get pulled out soon.

The door tag says 7 or 8/79. Shifter is still in it. I was able to shift it in/out of gears. I asked at the cashier, regular price is $130. I'm certain...but I think the rest of the drive line & cross member was still in it too.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.