time for a new clutch

zrex

Hi guys, i need to decide on what brand of clutch kit i should purchase. i have a 85 4x4 with no mods, any suggestions on a clutch kit? Also any advice or suggestions on this job would be appreciated. I have done many clutches on my z cars and have the space,tools and time.

thanks Rex

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the advise on the clutch, i will be getting the nissan unit today. I have never pulled the tranny before on a 720 4x4 before, Whats easier dropping the tranny from the bottom or pulling the engine/tranny from the top.

Thanks

Rex

• Like 1

I've done mine twice sitting with all for tires on the ground never had any troubles so just depends on whatever your preference is but inn order to get it out the bottom you have to drop one side of the rear cross member for the front diff

Definitely always a good idea to have the flywheel surfaced when replacing the clutch and just a good rule of thumb while your there and have everything out and out of the way i would personally go ahead and replace the rear main seal even if it doesn't look like its leaking yet what's a few bucks for the seal now while your already there instead of having to do it 4 months from now when everything is back together already

Except that Datsun rear main seals rarely go bad, like american V8 rear main seals.

And better to not grind the flywheel if it doesn't need it. If it is warped, have it resurfaced. It is it burnt, chattered, or is grooved, resurfacing is called for. But it if still worked great, is flat, and not burnt, don't bother. The Nissan factory service manual does not recommend a resurface unless needed. Every time my Datsun flywheel did not look great, I should have resurfaced it. And everytime it looked great and I didn't resurface it, all was fine.

Except that Datsun rear main seals rarely go bad, like american V8 rear main seals.

And better to not grind the flywheel if it doesn't need it. If it is warped, have it resurfaced. It is it burnt, chattered, or is grooved, resurfacing is called for. But it if still worked great, is flat, and not burnt, don't bother. The Nissan factory service manual does not recommend a resurface unless needed. Every time my Datsun flywheel did not look great, I should have resurfaced it. And everytime it looked great and I didn't resurface it, all was fine.

i agree about the seals not going out very often but at the cost of a seal its just easier if you already have access to it than waiting for it kind of a preventive maintenance but your completely right about the flywheel just didn't mention that part

Don't know about the 4X4 and crossmembers, but the '85 would have the married transfer case, right? If so I don't think you can get the engine out with it attached. But I don't think you can get the trans out with the engine attached. May have to pull (or at least move forward) the engine. I had a hell of a time with my 2WD 720. I ended up jacking the cab up 6" to get clearance to tilt the trans away from the torsion rod crossmember. 4X4s will be different in that regard.