thinking about buying ermish racing coilovers

ramseys21

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have not purchased from Troy Ermish. I have heard enough negative feedback about him from friends that I personally, will avoid him.

I have T3 front coil overs with the bearing upper hats on 280zx struts with AGX adjustable inserts. For the rear, I have very nice coil overs from Top Motoring and I am happy with this setup. There are a few guys on here that have the Top Motoring rear coil over setup, and even more with the front setup I described above.

Feel free to ask questions, should you have any.

ditto. tried and true. you could dig through the suspension setup thread on the realm.

280zx struts, koni(or agx) inserts, ground control (t3) coilovers/bearing hats/camber plates. Top Motoring rear. That along with all bushings and brakes and you'll be happy (and poor)

You do not need a spring compressor to install the coil over springs.

$1k budget:

Top Motoring Rear Coil overs $520

T3 front coil overs with bearing hats $230

T3 camber plates $180

T3 T/C rods $200

This is ~$1130.

I have this setup on my car. It is a very reliable setup. You do not have to do the T/C rods right away (or at all for that matter). I am very happy I got them T3 T/C rods though. That would put you under $1k. I picked up the SW20 AGX inserts locally for about $250 for the pair. Again, you don't have to install inserts. I didn't for a while while I saved the cash up for them.

I doubt you will have Ermish front and rear for done any where near these prices..

my car isn't fast at all. but its going to be. i just want to get something thats not only going to last but to handle great. just because i cant go fast in a line doesn't mean that i cant fly around a turn. ha ha the suspension needs to be done bad.

springs are the only thing that makes me nervous around a vehicle. i don't know how to put coil overs together even though its probably really simple.

There is no "putting together". You could not get a simpler setup. I will take a couple photos. If you are really that concerned about that, you can pay someone to build your front coil overs. This will cost a lot more money than your budget. I can not think of anything easier that putting them together.

As far as power, brakes and suspension go.. Power is last! If you put in that horsepower monster and don't upgrade the suspension and brakes, you are asking for problems. The car is designed to stop an L16. It's designed to handle like a commuter car. This is my opinion, but I am dead right non this one ;)

yes the car handles like a tank. so the suspension sucks considering i can pretty much lift the car on my own. haha. so i can install the new springs on the struts and assemble the rear coilovers with basic hand tools? if so great ill start ordering. haha. but i do need to get all 4 done.

I see he(Top Motoring) wants $350 for pair of his Koni's. these might be a little shorter but you could always cut the cup off the bottom of the 280zx strut cartridge if you need shorter(the ones below on link)

these guys want 57$ each

http://www.classicgarage.com/28in22andtur.html

http://www.classicgarage.com/datsun.html

http://www.upgrademotoring.com/performance/240z.htm

slodat

I cant see how they are different. if they are the usual red/orange Konis they are adjustable on retraction only(OIL/Hydralic SHOCK). Meaning the 280zx ones I got are the same valving. The only real difference is the size of the cartridge itsself for the particular vehicle. Top Ends might be shorter. Maybe look under the VW Fox if that is the case. Thats why if you look under the 510 they give a differnt size but you can use the shorter cartridge and use a spacer at the bottom of the strut tube to fill in the space. Can do it with the 280zx also. And nissan the top cap that hold them are pretty much the same.

I run 510 struts cut to the 280zx cartridge length. I CANT go shorter cause the spring prech will hit the tire if its to big. Coil Overs prevents this from happening

Koni does make a ext adj gas shock which is expensive. I think they are yellow.

PS This is for information use only and I havent ordered from these guys So I cant be sure they even have them. Could be New Old Stock in a warehouse.

But I cant see How TopEnd justifys the price as of right now for its more or less the same shock. Adjustable retraction ,meaning its the typical oil hydralic shock.

Maybe you can email him? and ask?

Im willing to learn someting new here but dont see KONI going out of there way to just make a shock to fit the 5/8 sphercal bearing

Place shock in tube that fits lengthwise so the cap closes down on it with out moving in shock tube the place rod thru shock tower and use the nut to clamp down on it.

Got to find out the part# and do some cross ref I guess to be sure. But as of now I can get the same performance stiffness wise from any red/orange hyd Koni shocks no matter the application ,just bottom the shock out then feel for the grooves then turn shock to desired stiffness

i've got a pair of those from classicgarage. They are NOS, but they work great!! excellent price and no issues business wise with them. I pieced my setup together, got those, used sleeve/spring set (practically new), camber plates from a guy that needed $$, the only thing i bought from t3 was the bearing top hats.

The funny part is, i put those konis on the front, i think i turned them 1/2 turn tight...250# springs, and suddenly the stock rear was stiff as hell. YAY retraction!!

What I did is pull on each shock till I think they where about the same.

Its hard for the front cartridges but i think I did a 1/4 turn.

The rear I might have done 1/4 turn also or a ltiile more since the back has no way bar. Use a stiffer spring to keep the car susp from compressing and use the Koni to keep the car end in a turn from comming up.(shock retraction)

Also calculated weather conditions if hotter area I would turn it abit more. Colder weather less

But remember these Konis are best for the strret on good roads.

If bad roads I would go with the Tokicos,(gas) rebound quicker.

Esp a Ralley car or something like that. Bielsteins

slodat

I cant see how they are different. if they are the usual red/orange Konis they are adjustable on retraction only(OIL/Hydralic SHOCK). Meaning the 280zx ones I got are the same valving. The only real difference is the size of the cartridge itsself for the particular vehicle. Top Ends might be shorter. Maybe look under the VW Fox if that is the case. Thats why if you look under the 510 they give a differnt size but you can use the shorter cartridge and use a spacer at the bottom of the strut tube to fill in the space. Can do it with the 280zx also. And nissan the top cap that hold them are pretty much the same.

I run 510 struts cut to the 280zx cartridge length. I CANT go shorter cause the spring prech will hit the tire if its to big. Coil Overs prevents this from happening

Koni does make a ext adj gas shock which is expensive. I think they are yellow.

PS This is for information use only and I havent ordered from these guys So I cant be sure they even have them. Could be New Old Stock in a warehouse.

But I cant see How TopEnd justifys the price as of right now for its more or less the same shock. Adjustable retraction ,meaning its the typical oil hydralic shock.

Maybe you can email him? and ask?

Im willing to learn someting new here but dont see KONI going out of there way to just make a shock to fit the 5/8 sphercal bearing

Place shock in tube that fits lengthwise so the cap closes down on it with out moving in shock tube the place rod thru shock tower and use the nut to clamp down on it.

Got to find out the part# and do some cross ref I guess to be sure. But as of now I can get the same performance stiffness wise from any red/orange hyd Koni shocks no matter the application ,just bottom the shock out then feel for the grooves then turn shock to desired stiffness

Sorry I didn't chime in on this one earlier, I just read the thread today for the first time.

The Konis I sell are the RACE versions #8610, they are yellow in color and nothing like the typical Koni Red's. They are not designed for any particular passenger car application. They are in the Koni Racing catalog. They do fit inside a 5/8" spherical bearing perfectly. Thats all they are designed to bolt up to.

They are only single adjustable, but its an adjustment you can actually use. I can get double adjustable also, however the second adjuster is on the bottom of the insert. Not very convenient for our application :mad:

Here is another vendor that sells the same type of insert that I do.

http://www.performanceshock.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=3

My price is not so bad eh:cool:

Last time I bought a set of Koni reds, they were only supposed to be adjusted for shock wear, not suspension tuning. Not saying they are bad, just not comparable.

Sorry for the late reply.

Yes adjustable for wear is correct but people tighten them up for the springs they use

Plus the initial advertisement of YOUR KONIS was adjustable retraction so assumed it was the same shock valving used as the Red/Orange Konis.

In Austraila they list 510 Koni shocks that are the yellow ones but not sold here. Most like made in Aussie.

My Red konis are made in USA believe it or not.

Some new konis are the external adjustable kind like the Tokico Luminas

But be honest for the average 510 driver if you have 280zx struts I highly recommned the Koni reds for street use.The ones listed on Classicgarage. Cant beat the price. But it sucks you have to remove the strut to adjust them