disc brakes Help

benrob

so i started assembling my rear brakes and thare is a quater inch slop in my rear axle/hub, is thare somekind of spacer or bracket i need . it only moves in and out not side to side or up and down, i wana say the drum brakes kept everything together before but not sure . any help is much apriciated.

If everything is tight(4 nuts holding the backing plate), then a 1/4 inch is a bit much, are you sure it's a 1/4 inch?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ya its at least 3/16 to a 1/4 i dont think im missing any thing put it all back together how it came apart . now dose the drum brakes pull the bearing housing away from the hub assembly , thats wear the slop is between the two and to me it seems like im missing something

I don't beleave you have an issue here, you have to understand that when you put the axle assembly into the rearend housing that the axle end bottoms out into the differential, the axle shims are to give it a predetermined amount of play as to not push against the block/shaft in the 3rd member, and to not side press/stress the actual axle bearings themselves.

I cannot recall how much play my bearings had when out of the housing, but if both are the same, it's quite likely normal.

I am sure if it isn't normal, someone will chime in here.

ya i assembled every thing and there is the same amount of play with the tire on as well , that cant b right it dosent seem like the axle is bottoming out on the diff

I just checked a couple of rearends I have, put together, they have just enough play to hear a click when pushing and pulling, but it does not have enough play to actually see it move with my eyes.

so i figured out the rear brackets and moved on to the front , everthing seemed to go smooth but it seems like the brackets ristrict turning . when the wheeel is all the way turned thare is ruffly a 1/4'' gap from the set bolt it supposed to hit, it hit the bracket . is that gana make the turning radius much bigger ?

• 1 month later...

hey, what have you used the brake disc in those in the arrangements? I'm looking for today from some local car dealership brake disc but not the one agreed on the driveshaft? so the car brake disc?

You have to understand that these are brackets made by datsun owners, they are not manufactured by datsun/nissan.

Read this thread, it will answer some of your questions, you cannot get this kit at the moment(out of production), but it explains how it was done.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/11459-disc-brake-kits-521520320620/page__hl__%2Bdisc+%2Bbrake+%2Bkit

• 9 months later...

having some problems bleeding my brakes , i don't have any leaks with the exception of the firewall . i was under the assumption the my master was good ,is it possible that the travel distance of the piston in the master is not correct , therefor pulling air into the system  at the master???

You can pull/push air into the back of the 521 master brake cylinder(MBC), as I have had it happen to me when I put the 521 MBC onto a power brake booster, I could not get the brake system bled, it always had air in it.

My issue was a special circumstance though, you see what was happening was when I stepped on the brake pedal it pulled air out of the booster cavity past the seal, and then when I let off the pedal it forced air into the back of the MBC because of the air tight seal between the two, so when I drilled a small hole on the back lip of the MBC mount to let it breath, all my issues went away.

So if your MBC rear seal is going bad, it would be possible to have air go by it under the right circumstances.

having some problems bleeding my brakes , i don't have any leaks with the exception of the firewall . i was under the assumption the my master was good ,is it possible that the travel distance of the piston in the master is not correct , therefor pulling air into the system  at the master???

Did you bench bleed the master?

Is the pedal push rod adjusted to the correct length?