4a-ge motor as good ? To sr20 or ka

I'm bored and thinking of the possibilities on motors ... I kno of the sr20, the ka swaps is 4a-ge as good or not a good motor at all I was looking three a import tuner mag it show the top 20 ride people love from the 60s,70s,80s

Mazda r100 (68-73)

Rx-2 (70-77)

Rx-3 (71-78)

Corolla e20(72-74)

E70(79-84)

Mazda rx-7 sa/fb (78-85)

Celica a20/35 (70-77)

A40/50 (77-81)

Dastun 1200 b110 (70-76)

Dastun s30 240z (70-73)

260z (74)

280z (75-78)

Curious. If any of these older cars would have fun motors for a 620 pickup

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the 4ag is an 86 motor its a 1.6 personally i would go ka before 4ag because lets face it its newer much bigger and the 86 was underpowered to begin with so why put a weaker motor in when a better one is readily avalable

as for the other cars you listed the only thing that would be worth it would be a rotory the z car motors are to long the 1200 is a pushrod 1.2 that is every low on power the celica would either be a 20r or the mini hemi neither would really be worth it

Well I was wondering cause I came across a older celica in 10 acre lot of junk cars that's why I ask which I could maybe nab up for lil or nothing. When me finding a sr2 or ka will be much harder to find

Is those z24 in the new 83 Nissan pickups ? Jw

Well I wa looking into the 4age they have 4 valves per cylinder they even had one with 5 valves per cylinder I'm trying to weight my options here really. Over here u see a lot of Honda rsx celica etc no silva or any with sr20 or ka motors on this way ... I'm sure it would be hard to ship them to the Midwest

Not recomended. I had an 86, wasn't a bad motor, but definately lacking in power. The stock 4A had something like 122hp, and to ger an FR model, think it's almost 30 years old by this point. If you do go with a 4A though, definately go with the silver top, it'll get you a decent amount more power.

As a rule, I'm against bastard swaps. But if you must go with a Toyota engine, look into the 3SGE. Not only is it larger, at 2.0L, but also younger. They made the platform from the late 80's into the 2000's also stating it's a proven platform. Depending on the year, they range anywhere from about 160 to 200hp, a very fair number for the motor size. My cousin had an MR2 (SW20 model), the G-Limited. Motor was peppy and the bitch screamed.

Personally as it's a truck motor, I like the idea of the KA as the KA is flat out torque, what you want for a truck, but it's all preference and what you want to go for.

I'm a guy who likes looks yet what's under the hood that looks banging. There's some motors I like there's some I don't like. I'm a GM kinda guy. I drive a s10. Little 2.2 which had 135 hp stock it's quick off the line. Still lacks the hp I get 30 mpg with the damn thing

I've had my datsun about as long as I had my s10

I'd love to get a. Colbat ss/sc motor that would be totally wrong

I'd love to. Transplant a good motor that I can get my hands on near my area. They also had a black top

It's a Japanese motor from a FWD car, so it would be just as hard (if not harder) to swap than any Nissan engine.

ever heard of a car called an AE86 toyota corolla?

It's not a bad platform, but if you're gonna go through that much work, a little larger and newer woul prolly be better. why i brought up the 3s. its larger and existed in a buch of fr platforms.

How is it that a older Celica sitting in a junkyard, not-running, and missing who knows what, .....

a) has anything to do with dual cam AE86 motors?

b ) doesn't have the stock, single cam 22re?

c) has a better chance of running than: .. 1) a swap that's been done? .... 2) a Fucking Datsun L-series !!!????
  • Like 1

then why did you imply it was only used in fwd setups?

the 3 s was used in a number of the rwd lexus platform. its actually becoming a popular 86 swap in the drifting world.

I was talking about the 20V he pictured. The engine is just sitting in the car... that's the easy part. Fuel? Cooling system?