79 headlight switch

So my headlights have been failing to come on sometimes so I started checking the wiring and found bad news. Someone replaced the switch with one with a different connector probably from the wrong year and did a sketchy section of wire and electrical tape that has now turned black and Partly melted.... What years of headlight switch will just plugg right in? Mine's a 79 and I don't drive at night often but it would be nice not to be pulled over every time I do haha

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea I'm lookin for fender badges too haha I think everyone is. And I have no clue what switch they put in my truck but it isn't illuminated and has completely different pluggs. I'm gonna try and go to the junk yard after work or on saturday. They know me by name there haha this is my first Datsun but I've been living like a Datsun owner since day 1 haha

• 3 weeks later...

In my above post I mistakenly wrote that the illumination feature was introduced in '77: I was wrong. This was introduced on both the cars and the trucks manufactured on or after 09/01/72. This included: light switch*, speedometer, wiper and washer switch, and the heater and defroster control. Optical fibers transmit light from its source to the switch knob to enable the driver to identify this control. The control is illuminated whenever the vehicle lighting switch is pulled out. For the heater and defrost control, two built-in lamps directly illuminate the letter-engraved acrylic plate. The '74 models saw the introduction of an illumination (brightness) control switch (Required by MVSS No. 101). The switch is a heating element and equipped with a protector for increased safety. It is designed exclusively for use on the wiper switch and heater control panel. It was available on vehicles off-lined after 08/21/73. With the introduction of the '76 models came a new illumination control. The illumination control range was expanded to include the following units: speedometer, combination meter, tachometer, clock, light switch, radio and A/T indicator. Formerly, its range was limited to the wiper and washer switch and heater control panel. On the '78 models the illumination control changed from a resistor type to a semi-conductor type for improved operating touch. It does not cause heat radiation. I hope this clears up any confusion that I may have caused with my previous post. Jersey

Light Switch*: illumination has been added to the lighting switch knob: Service Bulletin Vol. 210 Introduction Of Datsun Pickup model HL620 series (1975 Model).

The '74 and up are illuminated and the same through the '79 truck.

'75 and up are illuminated. I've had 2 74s and neither were. Neither of my '74s had dimmers either. My '75 had both.

See if those 75's have good side emblems, I'm looking for the good metal ones, not my cheesey 78 plastics lamerz

All 620 emblems are chromed-plastic. Even '72 1/2. 74-78 are exactly the same.