L18 Serial number questions

Eomund

Just to give a vehicle background, this is a '72 521 pickup that I had purchased thinking it was the original motor. I was wrong.

Today's been an interesting day. I started by researching why I had two oil dipstick tubes to find out that it's likely that my motor is possibly imported, haven't 100% confirmed this as most info I've found doesn't seem conclusive.

What I have learned is I have an L18 with a A87 head. What's not making sense to me is the serial numbers. I have several books that describe the numbers but they do not match anything I'm seeing on the motor.

I don't have and pictures but it reads the following:

L18 281218 W

Each one is on it's own plate. First, no prefix letters, unless the L18 counts as the prefix, which matches nothing I've read. Also I haven't found any information on the lone W at the end. I've checked re-checked triple checked and quadrupal checked the numbers and they're accurate.

What I'm thinking is this is possibly a JDM motor, one of the ones imported in the early 80's. All my books are american and only cover the US and I'm hoping it's this, 'cause that would mean I have the peanut head which would rock.

Any info on this would be epic.

-Eomund-

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

W on the end of the casting always denotes a very late, 1979 or later engine. I've seen a few L20Bs with the W, and they actually are a NAPS-Z casting but have had the L-series machining doen on them. Starting in 1979-ish, all 4-cyl L-series blocks came out of the NAPS-Z casting line. You'll notice, under the manifolds, there's a boss where the NAPS-Z serial number plate would be. It's not machined, though, and won't have anything there. But the place is. I've seen L16 blocks with the same setup (including the 2 dipsticks). 2 dipsticks is the main ID characteristic of a "crate" engine, as late L-series cars had a front-sump pan so far forward the rear dipstick was unusable (cars like the A10 and possibly the 710).

You likely have a peanut head, BUT it could have been swapped on. It may or may not be JDM, as it could have been a dealer replacement "crate" engine. However, every Crate engine I've seen (and all were L16 and L18s) did have peanut heads, and the "W" block L20Bs I've seen did as well.

When a NISSAN motor carries the W casting is is of a stronger cast.

Example:

300zx's VG's show this more prominently.

84-86 is the weaker of that series of block.

87-89 have different webbing on the block to increase the strength.

I have seen the W on L's, Z's, VG's, and VQ's.

Interesting topic, thanks for the info 'Holic :) I bought the L16 ( that's in Ol Yeller's '73) out of an importer's shop in Long Beach approx 12-13yrs ago and always wondered why it had twin dipstick receiver's .....lol. It had those weird combined intake/exhaust manifolds that have no water galley's in the intake or head. His block also has the blank stamping pads under the manifolds ;)

Next time I'm over there I'll look for that "W" in the serial#.

--Ray